Beware of Windows 7 when recovering data!

Forum on data recovery, file unerase, disk unformat, and RAID reconstruction.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Studio, R-Studio for Mac, R-Studio for Linux, R-Linux, and R-Undelete software

Re: Beware of Windows 7 when recovering data!

Postby QuattroDK » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I made it best practice here always to use the RSEmergencyGUI CD when recovering windows disks. :idea:
It's not only this Win 7 issue, it is also the system volume information being filled with some info from my windows installation. So if there is any data lost/deleted this alone may ruin your chances for a good recovery. :oops:
--
:ugeek: Alternative - the even better prattice - is to use a read-only device for the client disk - now as USB 3.0 has arrived the speed loss of former days USB 1 or 2 connected disks has gone. AND the devices has become cheaper - I see then at some 60$ where before they were at +250$ (forensic "class")
Per aspera ad astra
QuattroDK

Postby Alt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:40 am

Linux systems are good for that, too.
Alt
Site Moderator

Postby Data-Medics » Tue May 10, 2016 12:56 pm

If you want to deactivate a drive so Windows won't make any changes all you have to do is deactivate the MBR by changing the last two characters in sector 0 from AA to BB. Then Windows will completely ignore the disk. R-Studio on the other hand will have no issue, as it ignores this change. It's a small feature that some of us have requested to be added into R-Studio in the past, but is easy enough to manually do it.
Data-Medics

Previous

Return to Data Recovery