Feature request

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software

Feature request

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:09 am

Good afternoon,
A quick feature request, searched forum and didn't get any hits for this but, it may be a case of wording it differently.

When undertaking a backup or restore it would be useful to have an option to "restart/shutdown Computer on completion" Many of us don't have time to sit around and wait for this to happen and it is a useful thing to do while sleeping, especially with large disks! I have seen this on other such programs and always find it very useful.

Look forward to hearing from you.

james

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Feature request

Post by Alt » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:36 am

Thank for the suggestions! I've passed them to our developers.

jpirie

Post by jpirie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:18 pm

I didn't realise I had posted as "Guest" :)
I am registered and I do care whether this happens or not honest :)

JAmes

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:56 am

Actually, this feature already exists in the scheduler on the Mail Notification / AUX applications panel.

jpirie

Post by jpirie » Sat May 27, 2017 6:15 am

Alt wrote:Actually, this feature already exists in the scheduler on the Mail Notification / AUX applications panel.
Then...no, the feature I requested is not there :)

This is fine if one is sheduling a backup but, if I were to use the scheduler...which I don't because I find it overly complex and my tiny brain cannot assimilate all the various options to make them work for me!, I would be scheduling the backup for a time when the computer was actually running otherwise it wouldn't run. Then the program would decide for me that a shutdown was necessary and, again, I have no wish to be dictated to by an application on shutdown times ;)
Also, I like to use the bootup version so I can be sure that my O.S. is properly "offline" before I back it up. With the best will in the world, "offline" is best!

So, my request stands. an option to shutdown the machine on completion of the backup, during a manual (And rescue) backup would be useful.

Thanks for your help if possible.

James

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon May 29, 2017 3:19 am

Believe it or not, you may set a task as manual, and run it whenever you like it. And you may leave all obscure options as they are.

jpirie

Post by jpirie » Mon May 29, 2017 3:49 am

Alt wrote:Believe it or not, you may set a task as manual, and run it whenever you like it. And you may leave all obscure options as they are.
Thanks for the information, I do appreciate what you are attempting to do really I do, but you simply don't understand what I am trying to do.

I am trying to request a feature which does not currently exist, namely the ability to simply tick a box, at time of backup using the rescue boot medium, to shut down the machine at termination of backup.

It appears that you refuse to admit that this feature is not, currently, available and that puzzles and disappoints me.

Are you a representative of the software's authors? If so, I am even more disappointed.

Such is life I suppose. However, if this feature is not to be considered as a future enhancement then it might just be easier to say so stating your reasoning for clarity.

Incidentally, I mainly use Linux as my Operating System upon which R-Drive Image does not run hence the reason why I use the boot rescue program to backup.

All the best, and thanks again for your interest.

James

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon May 29, 2017 4:10 am

Actually, I'm trying to suggest you a way around until this feature is implemented.
And yes, for a Linux environment the startup version in the only option available. Provided, of course, that you use it according to the program's EULA.