File mask based on file contents

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
RForce

File mask based on file contents

Post by RForce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:22 am

I'm sure I've expressed before that it would be nice if we could filter based on the condition of the file in the column that appears when access a DDI system. Is there a way, at the very least where we could search for files with a specific pattern, ie <unread>, within it sectors so that we can easily identify the good and damaged files in a recovery?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: File mask based on file contents

Post by Alt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 am

As a temporary way around, you may sort files in a folder by clicking the Status B/C column. I understand that this is a very cumbersome way, so adding an option to the Find dialog box would be a good idea.

RForce

Post by RForce » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:38 am

What about adding the ability to filter files based on its contents? DeepSpar & RapidSpar both write <unread> to unreadable sectors on the clone. It is possible to write custom patterns with other data recovery clone tools. So, it would be nice to be able to filter for files based on a custom pattern.

It would also be helpful in other cases where we are looking through RAW data for files with specific contents, too.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Another program I've been using more and more lately (I won't name it here on R-TT's forum ;) ) seems to actually check each file's starting signature against what it should be for that file type. If the header is good the text of the file name is black, but if it's not good, it's a sort of reddish brown color. Makes it very easy to see if you're looking at good data or just rubbish in a particular folder that was found.