File Recovery FAQ

Forum on data recovery, file unerase, disk unformat, and RAID reconstruction.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Studio, R-Studio for Mac, R-Studio for Linux, R-Linux, and R-Undelete software

File Recovery FAQ

Postby Alt » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:47 am

Alt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: File Recovery FAQ

Postby Del » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Hello!
I just read your new FAQ section. It looks great! - sure, very useful)))
I have one question concerning File Recovery FAQ number 17. It is about scanning specific folder (folders). In Help section - "Data Recovery Issues" there is a paragraph about Questionable Folders - it is stated that there can be still manual scanning of such folders (I faced with such folders during using of your program). Is it OK? Because I understood from answer to question 17 that R-Studio can not scan specific folder(s). Looks like small contradiction for me. Or am I wrong? Can somebody make it clear?
Del
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:26 am

Re: File Recovery FAQ

Postby Alt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Well, only questionable folders can be "scanned". Most often, this procedure reveals garbage, but sometimes deleted files appear there.
Alt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: File Recovery FAQ Speeding up SCANNING

Postby gotdata » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi,

...reading about the speeding up of the scan process, i can see only "software" options to do this:
i.e. deactivating one option, selecting only one Partition system...etc.

Would cloning a HD image to some "Raid 0" or "faster" single H.drives (10.000rpm).
or the use of a faster CPU, RAM or some Greater H.D. buffer, would also speed up this scan process ?

On client PC: its Dual Core T5500 is only used at 65% and scanning uses 1 out 3Gig RAM available...

I am assuming that some cloning of the needed partition would improove that on a faster Hardware sytem... right or wrong ? :?:

Thanks,
eric
gotdata
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: File Recovery FAQ Speeding up SCANNING

Postby Alt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:27 am

gotdata wrote:Hi,
Would cloning a HD image to some "Raid 0" or "faster" single H.drives (10.000rpm).
or the use of a faster CPU, RAM or some Greater H.D. buffer, would also speed up this scan process ?
On client PC: its Dual Core T5500 is only used at 65% and scanning uses 1 out 3Gig RAM available...
I am assuming that some cloning of the needed partition would improove that on a faster Hardware sytem... right or wrong ? :?:

Depends on what limits the scan speed, CPU or disk access.
Please note that Dual/Quad Core CPUs do not increase CPU throughput by 2 or 4. Separate cores have to interact with each other, and that decreases the overall CPU speed. That is why you have only 65% of CPU usage.
Alt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: File Recovery FAQ

Postby gotdata » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:15 pm

hmm...interesting I will try dedicating just one core of the dual CPU next, see how it performs.
:geek:
gotdata
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: File Recovery FAQ

Postby LoboX » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:28 pm

10. When opening a disk I see some files marked with a red cross, some without. Does the red cross means that the file is unrecoverable?
A Red cross on the icon means that the file has been intentionally deleted. Files without the red cross are files that exist or existed on the disk. They may be lost from the system due to file structure corruption (especially when found on Recognized partitions.)

I don't understand this????? How R-Studio knows this.

Thanks.
LoboX
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:40 am

Re: File Recovery FAQ

Postby Alt » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:26 am

LoboX wrote:10. When opening a disk I see some files marked with a red cross, some without. Does the red cross means that the file is unrecoverable?
A Red cross on the icon means that the file has been intentionally deleted. Files without the red cross are files that exist or existed on the disk. They may be lost from the system due to file structure corruption (especially when found on Recognized partitions.)

I don't understand this????? How R-Studio knows this.
Thanks.

Some OSes (Windows, for example) specifically marks deleted files without deleting file's data. R-Studio knows about such marks. See more at our article File recovery basics.
Alt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: File Recovery FAQ

Postby Mattb1993 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:48 am

I am currently trying to scan my girlfriends 1TB hardrive (All files are very slow and hardrive can be unresponsive as there is some sort of internal damage). Scan has been going for 5 hours and only scanned 170mb and rekons that it'll take 3years to finish, is there any point me trying to keep going or is it a lost cause. If this method doesn't work girlfriend wants to send hardrive away which is going to cost up to $1100 for recovery.
Mattb1993
 

Re: File Recovery FAQ

Postby Alt » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:41 am

Mattb1993 wrote:I am currently trying to scan my girlfriends 1TB hardrive (All files are very slow and hardrive can be unresponsive as there is some sort of internal damage). Scan has been going for 5 hours and only scanned 170mb and rekons that it'll take 3years to finish, is there any point me trying to keep going or is it a lost cause. If this method doesn't work girlfriend wants to send hardrive away which is going to cost up to $1100 for recovery.

Look at the SMART data of the drive. If it's red, your disk is dying. Better send it to a professional data recovery service.
Alt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Next

Return to Data Recovery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron