Lost scan results because of USB sleep mode

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Mos Eisley

Lost scan results because of USB sleep mode

Post by Mos Eisley » Fri May 19, 2017 12:25 pm

I'm new to this program. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like R-studio can save scan results, then reload them at a later time without having to rescan a harddrive for another 8.5 hours. I was going to try out this feature, but Win-d'oh!s decided to spit in my eye before I could because if there's anything Win-d'oh!s does to help people save time, it's waste craploads of time through imbecilic features and interfaces!

I had two drives in a dual-drive dock: A failed one to scan, and a new one to receive recovered files. I started a scan before going to bed, expecting to be able to start my day recovering files, but when I woke up, R-Studio had zero indication of having ran a scan (other than the running log), and Win-d'oh!s was prompting me to format the failed drive and explore the new one.

According to the log, the scan completed at 4:45 AM, then at 5:10 AM R-Studio began another drive enumeration. It turns out that, even though I've configured Win-d'oh!s to never put its drives to sleep, there's a secret, deeply buried setting to disconnect idle USB-attached devices! R-Studio completed its scan, allowing the drive to go idle, then Win-d'oh!s slipped a sleeping pill into that sucka's milk and threw it on an airplane, and R-Studio said, "Drive no longer there? Good bye, 8.5-hour scan results! Oh, wait, there it is; I've nudged it awake. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Want to scan it again for another 8.5 hours?"

R-Studio needs the option to automatically save scan results, or at least not immediately discard scan results when Win-d'oh!s behaves like normal Win-d'oh!s and randomly kills the connection to a USB-connected device.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Lost scan results because of USB sleep mode

Post by Alt » Mon May 22, 2017 10:18 am

Mos Eisley wrote: R-Studio needs the option to automatically save scan results
R-Studio has already this feature. Select the Save to File on the Scan dialog box and select place to save scan information.
Read R-Studio's help" Disk scan form more information.