NAS RAID1 Format

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
jets

NAS RAID1 Format

Post by jets » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:36 pm

I have no idea why I was so blind but I mistakenly formatted the wrong NAS today as I have two Dlink DNS320's. So it reformatted the RAID1 with all the data to RAID1 again. It had a single volume prior to the format. I have pulled one of the two hard drives and connected to my pc using a USB dock.

In R-Studio I selected the disk and started a scan using the the fastest option of the 3 but it'll take a day as it's a 3TB drive. I just want to know if I'm on the right track? I don't want to find out in 24 hours I should have done something different.

Any help would be great.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: NAS RAID1 Format

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:21 am

You're doing right so far. This article may help you to estimate what you can expect from data recovery and recover your data: Data Recovery from a Reformatted Ext2/3/4FS Disk.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:30 pm

Keep in mind you can pause the scan, look at what it's found so far, then you can resume the scan afterward. That way you can know how the process is going before waiting a full day.

jets

Post by jets » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:28 pm

So it finished the scan. I double clicked the recognized disk and I have to wait 4 days for it to enumerate the files...wow this is nuts

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:04 pm

First off, I hope you saved the scan result before starting to enumerate the file structure. If it crashes part way through you'll be very sorry.

Usually, speed issues like this relate to the amount of RAM you have in your computer. If your RAM is short and it's needing to use the Windows pagefile your system will likely just crash before it ever finishes opening up the filesystem. With less than 8Gb I wouldn't even attempt it. I've got 32Gb in my system I use for data recovery and it's made the process drastically faster.

jets

Post by jets » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:18 pm

I had no issues with it. It could recover anything useful. Most were large mkv and although it did find some mkv files they were all truncated to the same size and unreadable.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:24 am

jets wrote:Most were large mkv and although it did find some mkv files they were all truncated to the same size and unreadable.
You need to search for them in Raw files.