Newbie Questions

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
deveaushawn

Newbie Questions

Post by deveaushawn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Folks,

I just purchased R-Drive Image and am trying to setup a backup scheme that works for me.

Basically, I have my OS files on Disk 0: Drive C, 120GB
Data Files on Disk 2: Drive D, 2TB

I would like to do a weekly full backup of the OS drive to Disk 3: Drive E, 500GB on Mondays.
I would like to do a daily Incremental backup of the data drive to Disk 4: Drive F, 500GB on Tue, Thu, Sat.
I would like to do a daily Incremental backup of the data drive to Disk 5: Drive G, 500GB on Wed, Fri, Sun.

Is it possible to restore the system using such a setup, or is there a more effective way to allow complete recovery of my system given my setup?

Thanks!!

deveaushawn

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by deveaushawn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:00 pm

I guess the question I'm really asking is whether it is possible or advisable to have the full back on a different drive than the differential/incremental backups?

Thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Alt » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:46 am

Generally, it's feasible to make backups on different places, but it's utterly inconvenient. You have to have both the full and differential/incremental images on the same place while restoring. And I recommend to store backups on the place that is not a part of the computer which OS is backed up. On an external USB disk or a network storage, for example.
But in you case, as I understand, you have backups of two disks: a system one and a data one. You may store backups of different disks in different places. For the data disk, you'll also have to have at least one full backup.