Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
hneutzn

Post by hneutzn » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:13 pm

I have an older LaCie drive which has failed (Can't see it on my network). Using R-Studio, I was able to copy the data to various places on my home network. Since I can see the drive, but not access it on my network without R-Studio, I'd like to make an image-copy of my C-Drive and use it as just another SATA drive on one of my computers. (LaCie's file system does not allow me to see the drive by just plugging it into a USB port or connecting it by straight SATA connectors). I figure if I make it an image of C (or some other drive) I could make it visible via any connection.

Is this possible?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Image

Post by Alt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:50 am

Sorry, I don't quite understand what are you going to do. Create an image of the Lacie drive to some other palace and then connect it as a virtual drive using R-Drive Image? Or what?
Actually, if R-Studio can see a partition on the Lacie drive, you can copy that partition, as a partition, to another hard drive using the R-Studio copy module.

hneutzn

Post by hneutzn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 pm

I'll try to make things clearer. I want to use the physical LaCie drive (since it is physically OK) as just another HD on my computer, but I can't since I can't format it (It uses a file system based on Linux). So, if I could make a copy of an existing HD that uses NTFS I would then be able to see the drive connected either by SATA or USB.

If R-Studio had a "format" command similar to the old DOS FDISK command, I could do it that way, but I don't believe that exists.

Thanks again.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:46 am

You can copy an existing NTFS disk to the Laice drive, and it will appear formatted as a NTFS partition. If the original disk is smaller, you can extend it to the size of the Lacie drive, if it's larger, but there's an unused space, you can "deflate" it to the size.

hneutzn

Post by hneutzn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks for the response, I'll try that.