Need to learn how to Change SID after creating an Image

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
lasttrinity

Need to learn how to Change SID after creating an Image

Post by lasttrinity » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:51 am

Hello all, I am currently setting up multiple computers, and my supervisor and I wanted to be able to create an Image, which we did successfully with the R-Drive Imaging software, then put the image on a computer.We are having issues using the network because of the SID.

We are trying to change the SID without Sysprep, because sysprep wipes some of the settings that are needed for our confirgation. I have been looking into imaging with & without Sysprep, I understand all pro's and cons, that's not my issue.

I need to learn how to change the SID if anyone could possibly point in the direction of that or tell me how to mass produce the SID change that would be much Appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
--LT

napoleon1815

Re: Need to learn how to Change SID after creating an Image

Post by napoleon1815 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:26 am

Check this out...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinov ... 91024.aspx

That being said, if you really want to do this try NewSID... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 97418.aspx

This works for 2003 and below...if you are on 2008 you might be out of luck.

lasttrinity

Post by lasttrinity » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Thank you for the response napoleon but I'm trying to image Windows 7.

I'm not exactly sure what you are refering to when you said this works on 2003 but if you are on 2008 you might be out of luck, if you could elaborate that would be great.

thank you napoleon,
--LT

napoleon1815

Post by napoleon1815 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Sure...I just meant that NewSID doesn't work with 2008 or Windows 7...just 2003, XP. and below. I do not believe there are an third-party SID changers that work with 2008/Win7. I will see what I can find out.

lasttrinity

Post by lasttrinity » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 am

Oh, Yes indeed. I knew that NewSid did not work with windows 7, (that is what I am making an image of).
Alright I am under the impression that unless you are hooking the computer up to a domain, you shouldn't have any problems with just creating the image and not worrying about the SID.
I've been researching almost nonstop the past few days and that is what i have collected via here, microsoft's Technet, google etc, if you find out or think differently please feel free to tell me because I haven't implemented a solution yet. I wanted to make sure before I start doing this process I know all of the ins and outs. so therefore and I don't need to go back and redo them sometime in the near future.

Also you do believe you are correct that a third party software that supposidly changes the SID, does not work. The only piece of information that I have found anywhere,that has been consistant is that third party software does not work unfortunatly.

thanks for your time napoleon,
--LT

napoleon1815

Post by napoleon1815 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Correct there does not appear to be any third-party SID changer for Windows7/Server 2008. For workstations, you should be OK without changing the SID per the document. Too bad they never updated NewSID!