Hyper-V virtual machine backup irregularities

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
Nancyboy

Hyper-V virtual machine backup irregularities

Post by Nancyboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:07 pm

Attempting to backup a Hyper-V virtual machine that uses a pass-through disk* results in some irregularities

(*i.e. not a VHD, but I don't know whether backup up a VHD would have the same problems)

First, the partition selection is out of whack, with drive letters mis-assigned and the C: drive, which is a 250 GB hard drive, is identified as:

127GB | C: 232GB NTFS "Volume label" | 100MB NTFS "System Reserved" (Active) | 127GB NTFS "Volume label"

obviously this is not correct, I have no idea why it concludes that the drive is 127 GB and then finds the same partition twice with two different sizes.

When a backup is attempted, taskeng.exe pops up and says "! Virtual HD1.1.0Partition at 206848 extends beyond disk bounds" twice, and cdrecord.exe pops up for a long time (the cd scan during task creation is also very long), and finally quits and then the backup continues, although it still lists the partition information incorrectly as before

I don't know whether to backup the whole drive, or manually select what appear to be the correct partitions, or if this backup is actually any good (I'm reluctant to test it)

will there be a fix in the pipeline to address this quirky behavior, and a test that it does backup hyper-v machines correctly?

Nancyboy

Re: Hyper-V virtual machine backup irregularities

Post by Nancyboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:10 pm

oh yeah this is r-drive image 4.6 build 4601

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:01 am

We need a system dump from you: Click the About button on the R-Drive Image panel and then click the System dump button.
Then, please contact our techsupport with this problem. They will help you to resolve the problem. Please provide a reference to this topic.

Nancyboy

Post by Nancyboy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:25 pm

I submitted the information but there was no way to include a system dump. Whatever, it should be easy enough to recreate this scenario in your testing lab. Just create a virtual machine on Windows 2008 Server and see what happens (I see the above on two separate virtual machines).

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:12 am

Please sent the dump to me: raptorbck at gmail dot com