Question about Custom XML File Type Syntax

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Data-Medics

Question about Custom XML File Type Syntax

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:37 pm

I've used R-Studio a fair amount to create custom file types for files not natively supported by the software. It's one of my favorite features of the program.

One issue I've been running into more and more relates to image files with embedded preview files. I've found a fair number of cases where different RAW image types such as NEF have an embedded preview file with its own starting/closing signature which throws the software off on finding it. Is there a way (even manually in the xml) to set a minimum file size to look for?

Basically after it finds an opening signature I add in, I want it to ignore other signatures within a certain amount of kb before it even starts to look for a closing signature or a next file. I realize this would have to be a separate scan with all file types but the one disabled, but it'd really help if there was a way to do this. Perhaps even a list of available XML rules the software will understand and their usage could be of help.

I've managed to do it for a few types of files like this already by just using some rather complex and/or functions, but it was time-consuming to do it that way and I don't think will be possible for all file types like this.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Question about Custom XML File Type Syntax

Post by Alt » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:36 am

Just a workaround for raw image files: usually those preview pieces are jpg. Disable them in Known File Types settings.
You may disable all other file types, too. That will work if there's no other files on the disk.

Data-Medics

Re: Question about Custom XML File Type Syntax

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks, I do realize that they are normally jpegs. My question, however, was more general in nature. There's a lot of different scenarios where there are files which will have other files embedded inside that can throw it off. Other times there are files that don't have an ending signature and end up getting recovered with huge size if the next file isn't a recognized type. So being able to have some control over file sizes and when/where it's looking for signatures might be nice. In a few cases where I knew files were all about the same size and had no closing signature, I've actually just used the opening signature with an offset from the end to carve them all out to a specific size.

Is there any documentation on what commands are supported besides the basic starting/ending signature and offset of these? Setting a minimum/maximum size is just one example of things I'd like to be able to do. The more I understand the full potential of this, the more creative I can get on the tough cases.