R-Drive Image recovery disc and mapped network drives

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
eanderson-plex

R-Drive Image recovery disc and mapped network drives

Post by eanderson-plex » Mon May 22, 2017 1:03 am

I am having a small issue with R-Drive Image. I have used the product for many years, but I only really use the R-Drive Image recovery disc. I generate recovery images for my servers/workstations, and in one environment I create/restore these via a mapped network drive. I successfully did this using a 6.0 version back in Feb 2017. I am now using 6102 (I know there are newer versions available, but I'm not positive this is an R-Drive issue yet). I have also looked at the changelog, and nothing jumps out at me that says that my issue would have been fixed/addressed in a future version of R-Drive Image. My problem is that I cannot successfully verify an image created on the mapped network drive. I have attempted several troubleshooting steps:

- I can successfully create/verify using a USB Dock and a SATA harddrive.
- If I copy the images created via this USB Dock and SATA harddrive to the network share location on the server I can:
- Successfully verify the integrity of the images
- Restore from the images

I have implemented some security policies on my 2012R2 domain controller (where the shares are located), but if all of the above work, I'm not aware of anything that *should* prevent creating the images from working also. The images restored and/or verified range in size from 6G to 26G.

I have tried using multiple client machines, but the same primary network switch and server for all testing.

Also in testing, I can create an image of a single partition (very small) and it works just fine, but the larger image sizes 6G to 26G fail to verify.

Any help/guidance is appreciated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: R-Drive Image recovery disc and mapped network drives

Post by Alt » Mon May 22, 2017 10:13 am

Any chances of disruptions in network while imaging?

eanderson-plex

Post by eanderson-plex » Mon May 22, 2017 7:42 pm

I don't think so. I have tried (with identical results) over a clean network with no other systems on high-end fiber switches, and a SOHO ethernet switch. Also, this worked just a couple of months ago. Something has changed and I am trying to identify what (r-drive boot disc or my server setup).

I have successfully managed to get a 600MB image created/verified over a mapped network drive, but larger images (smallest I've managed to generate in a test unsuccessfully is 6GB) fail to verify. Again, if I copy a good image to the network share from the server directly, I can verify even a 26GB image over a mapped network drive successfully. I think this is something on the create side. I found an area where I can disable caching of files, and where I can optimize files on this share for "video"... so I think between those two options I might be on to something. I'll report back what I find.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue May 23, 2017 12:54 pm

What are OS of the client machines?
If you create an image over the network and them copy it to a USB drive, can you verify the image?

eanderson-plex

Post by eanderson-plex » Tue May 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Update:

I use ONLY the System Recovery Boot Disc for creating/restoring images. They worked before, but not anymore-ish. I have attempted both CentOS7 and Windows 7 Client Images. Create directly to a USB/SATA dock, copy to the network share via the server OS and I can verify over the OS from any network-connected machine. So I think my network is stable.

I found an option to split my files (something I've never had to do before)... and did more testing:

512MB chunks worked and verified.
2GB chunks worked and verified.
6GB and 10GB images (whole files) failed to verify.

I still don't know what changed, but I have a work-around. It sounds like it is server-side or network policy... but I don't have a clue what would cause this behavior. The server OS has not changed (outside of GPO or something). NTFS filesystem, MS Server 2012R2 OS. I have not tried to copy the USB/SATA dock files over the network from a full OS, then verify with the boot disc... sounds like another variable to test...

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 am

eanderson-plex wrote:Update:
I have not tried to copy the USB/SATA dock files over the network from a full OS, then verify with the boot disc... sounds like another variable to test...
If you try this test and it fails, the problem is surely with the network.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed May 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Have you installed the latest updates connected with the WannaCry virus? If yes, wait for the next release of R-Drive Images. You may try it for one month for free, fully functioning.