R-Studio forces Win7 to reboot

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Peter

R-Studio forces Win7 to reboot

Post by Peter » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:37 pm

checking if other readers have experienced something like this.

We've seen at least 20 cases with such behavior.
At some point during data extraction (not repeatable, different files all the time), Windows 7 pops up a dialog saying something like "windows has experiences critical error and needs to be rebooted ..."
Then, in one minute, the system reboots.
Luckily to us we were able to catch that dialog couple times.

This problem was seen on at least 10 different computers (different Intel chipsets and CPU, 8..32 GB of RAM), extracting different sets of data (NTFS, HFS+), to different media (SATA, USB).
RAM was not an issue - checked every time.
Hard links were not an issue either.
And again - it was not repeatable, different files all the time. So continuing the extraction from the last folder (emptying it first) could not replicate the problem, but the issue could happen again an hour late.

Pretty nasty thing, which we started to notice ~ 6 months ago.

any ideas?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: R-Studio forces Win7 to reboot

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:15 pm

What about the last version?

Data-Medics

Re: R-Studio forces Win7 to reboot

Post by Data-Medics » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:13 am

I've yet to see this problem happen even once, and I've run R-Studio on many computers at different times.

My suspicion would be that you're running some software on all these computers that is conflicting with it. Do you have the same AV software on all these computers? I've found antivirus software to often conflict with various data recovery programs. Because DR software works on such a low level, heuristics often misunderstand it.