RAID0 - partial recovery (parameters?)

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Madumi

RAID0 - partial recovery (parameters?)

Post by Madumi » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:11 am

I'm new to recovering files from RAID, so please excuse my ignorance.

I have a RAID0 array that needs recovery (the motherboard controller broke). I can see the individual disks, which I've placed on new controllers on PCIE cards, and I'm pretty sure the HDD's are not faulty (I did a sector analysis twice using different methods within the last month, before the array broke).

I've been able to reconstruct the array in R-Studio using the Create Virtual RAID-->Create Virtual Block RAID button, and am satisfied that I have the correct HDD order (I'm placing the root HDD into the virtual array, not the partitions on it). After this, the only parameters I seem able to change are the block size (I have 64KB selected) and the block order... But the results of recovery show an incomplete recovery. It discovers the complete directory tree at a root level, but from level two and down, some branches lack any of the directory sub-structure.

Are there any other parameters I can try that might help recovery (I need to recover the directory structure, or else recovery isn't worth it to me)?

thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID0 - partial recovery (parameters?)

Post by Alt » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:35 am

You may change the offset.
Try to use ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery to find correct RAID o parameters.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Now that's just shameful. Recommending another software than your own.... :lol:

@OP, if you'd like I could take a quick look remotely for you.

Madumi

Post by Madumi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:54 am

Hi again & thanks so much for your replies.

@Alt OK, great, I'll try tweaking the offset on the array & see if that makes a difference.

@Data-Medics, if that fails, I'd love to take you up on your offer to take a look remotely. Which software do you usually use for that?

Are drive offset differences capable of creating the problem I'm seeing? (root folders OK, but lower branches missing)?

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:49 am

Madumi wrote:Which software do you usually use for that?
R-Studio
Madumi wrote:Are drive offset differences capable of creating the problem I'm seeing? (root folders OK, but lower branches missing)?
If anything is off with the RAID parameters or partition offset you'll generally get a partial result. It's very normal to see.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:55 am

Data-Medics wrote:Now that's just shameful. Recommending another software than your own.... :lol:
If you browse through the forum, you'll see that I recommended this software many times. It simply finds RAID parameters rather than recover data.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:30 pm

I was just teasing you about it. Just thought it was funny to hear you recommending a software other than your own. But, it's a good unbiased opinion.

Madumi

Post by Madumi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Alt wrote:You may change the offset.
Try to use ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery to find correct RAID o parameters.
Brilliant! Seems to be working like a charm. After running the ReclaiMe analysis, it has a nice little tab labelled: "R-studio" which details all the steps to apply the parameters within R-studio.

Now I just need to find a disk large enough where I can save the recovered files :)

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:55 am

Well, just check that R-Studio can actually recover the files before buying it. Find several picture files and try to preview them by double-clicking them.

Madumi

Post by Madumi » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:35 pm

Just a quick follow-up question... The recovery process seems to have gone seamlessly... If no errors are reported, can I be sure all the files have successfully been recovered?