Recover Fusion drive

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
ciselkovy

Recover Fusion drive

Post by ciselkovy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:35 am

Hi,
I have imac 27 with Fusion drive. 121GB SSD+1TB HDD. The HDD failed without reason and the Mac could not boot. So I changed the failed disk and cloned the failed disk to the new one. In the the recovery mode I can only fix Fusion drive, what deletes the content. I would like to recover the Fusion volume. I am trying to do it with Virtual Volume set, but I get no results. I think that the drives have file structure error, and I cannot repair them with diskutil. Can this be somehow repaired with r-disk?
Thank you for your help.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recover Fusion drive

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:09 am

Did you try to use R-Studio? It should recognize Mac Fusion automatically. You may use the Mac version if you ran a mac.
The on-line R-Studio for Mac help: Apple CoreStorage/File Vault/Fusion Drive Volumes.

ciselkovy

Post by ciselkovy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi,
i am using r-studio on Mac.
I have clones of each physical drives on different physical drives. So they are not images. The r-studio is not seeing automaticaly those cloned drives as fusion. I am now doing images and will try with images later. I am doing images only from diskXs2 volumes where X is the corresponding number of fusion's disks.

pupok

Post by pupok » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:03 pm

I have the similar case - 120 ssd +1000 hdd.
the same issue - R-Studio doesn't see it as fusion.

please fix

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:11 pm

same issue - mac fusion is not detected, but its metadata is present on both drives.

please fix

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:36 am

I've passed the problems to our developers

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Quick question for you guys who are getting this issue. Are you sure the fusion wasn't broken by an attempt to re-create it using the SSD and another HDD?

The last time I saw this it turned out that a "genius bar" idiot had tried to re-create a fusion setup on the SSD using a new HDD and had even re-installed the OS before asking the customer if they needed the data back. So, it was no longer part of the same fusion. I've talked with other data recovery labs, and they've all seen this happen several times as well. Seems it's standard operating procedure at the Apple store to nuke data in favor of fixing the computer, all without asking the customer. I think most their "techs" (and I use that term loosely) don't even know the SSD exists, so they just throw in a new HDD and in goes the install CD.

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:12 pm

corestore metadata was present on both members, and GUIDs were the same, so I assume it's the same fusion.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:45 am

Peter wrote:corestore metadata was present on both members, and GUIDs were the same, so I assume it's the same fusion.
Please contact our technical support with the system dump: Tools -> System info.