Can't complete image file - HDD crashes often - how to continue where left off?

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
rolin

Can't complete image file - HDD crashes often - how to continue where left off?

Post by rolin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:17 am

I am attempting to recover data from a damaged hard drive that keeps losing ready after hours of running and crashes the system. Trying to create an image file to recover files. But the image creation keeps crashing because the drive loses ready, and I can't find any way to continue where I left off - so I have to start over losing hours of work. Is there any way to continue where it left off? BTW: I have checked the box to create a scan log, but it isn't helping.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can't complete image file - HDD crashes often - how to continue where left off?

Post by Alt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:52 am

Apparently, your HDD has serious hardware issues. You need a professional data recovery service. Further tampering with your disk may, and probably will, damage your disk even more.

rolin

Re: Can't complete image file - HDD crashes often - how to continue where left off?

Post by rolin » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:53 pm

You didn't answer my question...

I've used several data recovery tools/software in the past, and RSudio is good at getting data from drives that have corrupted partitions, some damaged sectors, reformatting, etc. But this is the first time I've tried to use RStudio to recover a drive that loses ready often with several large damaged areas - and making an image of this drive before recovery is important to not damage the drive further. I can't restart at the point the drive locked up - always starts at the beginning with the log file or not! It appears the log file only helps to not rescan damaged and marked areas on the drive (from the log file), but it doesn't help from starting at the beginning of the entire drive again. Unless I'm missing something (which is why I posted my question), this is a major oversight on this program.

I waited 2 days after I posted this question and finally decided to use DDRescue instead - a program I've used often in the past and I can restart at the point I left off after the drive locks up. That way I don't have to start over and lose several days of work each time it locks up!

Again, if I'm missing something please let me know. Otherwise I can't use this program to image failing hard drives - it's just not practical.

RForce

Post by RForce » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:28 am

R-Studio imaging is not designed to handle unstable drives. At best, just drives with bad sectors.

ddrescue or hddsuperclone are your best software options, both free Linux programs. Beyond that, you need to look at data recovery hardware such as DeepSpar Disk Imager or RapidSpar.