WAV-Files rescued and saved as Alias-files

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Tonfelix

WAV-Files rescued and saved as Alias-files

Post by Tonfelix » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Hallo,

an encrypted APFS-drive just crashed under MacOs High Sierra. Since time is of the essence in this case, I decided to try to recover the files rather than creating an image (which for sure would be the more prudent thing to do, I know). Approx. 25% of the essential files that have not been backuped before could be restored, all WAV-files (actually Broadcast-Wave-files with WAV-ending), but a couple of them have been saved as Alias-files which actually aren't Alias files but rather WAV-files. I can tell because of their sizes (some of them are a couple of Megabytes) and because I can open them with TwistedWave. But I can't open them in ProTools which is my main Digital Workstation.
My question is: why does R-Studio save those files in the wrong format? Is it because they are corrupted? Or is it because they are Broadcast Wave and not simply Windows Wave? And most important: is there a way to tell R-Studio to handle files like that in a different way? Because I cant rename them and change them that way into working and ProTools-digestable Wave-files.

Thanks & cheers!

Felix

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: WAV-Files rescued and saved as Alias-files

Post by Alt » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:02 am

Did you recover the problem files as raw (known file types) or from the file system?

mabuse

Post by mabuse » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:50 am

Tonfelix wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:16 pm
Hallo,

an encrypted APFS-drive just crashed under MacOs High Sierra. Since time is of the essence in this case, I decided to try to recover the files rather than creating an image (which for sure would be the more prudent thing to do, I know). Approx. 25% of the essential files that have not been backuped before could be restored, all WAV-files (actually Broadcast-Wave-files with WAV-ending), but a couple of them have been saved as Alias-files which actually aren't Alias files but rather WAV-files. I can tell because of their sizes (some of them are a couple of Megabytes) and because I can open them with TwistedWave. But I can't open them in ProTools which is my main Digital Workstation.
My question is: why does R-Studio save those files in the wrong format? Is it because they are corrupted? Or is it because they are Broadcast Wave and not simply Windows Wave? And most important: is there a way to tell R-Studio to handle files like that in a different way? Because I cant rename them and change them that way into working and ProTools-digestable Wave-files.

Thanks & cheers!

Felix
hey Felix,

I just experienced the same thing - some files were recovered as alias instead of wav files.
did you found a solution for your problem?

thanks and best, johannes

mabuse

Post by mabuse » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:52 am

Alt wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:02 am
Did you recover the problem files as raw (known file types) or from the file system?
btw I used the file system... these wave/alias files where not listed in the raw files directory.

edit:
i also realized that some recovered wav files simply didn't show up in the output folder. strange thing is that I can find them when I search by their name via the osx finder. is there a specific reason why this is happening?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:48 pm

mabuse wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:52 am
i also realized that some recovered wav files simply didn't show up in the output folder. strange thing is that I can find them when I search by their name via the osx finder. is there a specific reason why this is happening?
Is your disk an SSD device?

mabuse

Post by mabuse » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:45 pm

Yes it is.
And apfs filesystem btw.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:13 pm

mabuse wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:45 pm
Yes it is.
And apfs filesystem btw.
This article explains what is a possible cause of this problem: File Recovery Specifics for SSD and Other Devices Supporting the TRIM/UNMAP command.

mabuse

Post by mabuse » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:16 pm

Thanks for pointing out.

So because of using a ssd, after scanning the recovered hd partition is colored black (not green) and all folders and files have red cross on it? I Will take a look on the trimming and see if it’s possible with ssd and if it changes anything.

For now i tried scanning with a) all filesystems selected and b) only with apfs selected - as far as i can see with the same outcome. In both cases i get missing/invisible files and aliases instead of wav files. After i recovered a bunch of folders that include subfolders i realized that some subfolders where missing too. So it seems not to be (wav) file but also folder related.
Hmm…
Anything else i could try?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:57 pm

mabuse wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:16 pm
So because of using a ssd, after scanning the recovered hd partition is colored black (not green) and all folders and files have red cross on it? I Will take a look on the trimming and see if it’s possible with ssd and if it changes anything.
Deep black means the existing partition.

mabuse

Post by mabuse » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:46 pm

good to know.

I would at least try to scan my ssd with trim disabled.
I currently have the ssd (that I want to recover from) connected via an sata adapter to an other mac.
but iam not sure how to address that drive and disable the trim settings via the terminal.