multiple new hard drives become corrupted after recovering data from older hard drive

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Structure56

multiple new hard drives become corrupted after recovering data from older hard drive

Post by Structure56 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:04 pm

what is going on ?

with my previous computer and previous hard drives , i used RTT R Studio Mac in recovering data from a corrupted source drive to a healthy one . the healthy drive became corrupted . i tried a fresher drive , and that became corrupted too . what's going on ?

suspecting my computer was at fault , i bought a new computer and new hard drives .

i have continued attempting to recover data from the corrupted source drive and it continues to corrupt every drive it touches , sporadically .

this is concerning .

could it be that the data , such as DISK IMAGES which are found on the source drive - are the culprit ? or is it poisonous files hidden among pictures and documents ? the source drive is only corrupt because mid-December the partition map got harmed while using RTT R-Studio - even though five drive utility softwares verify it is a healthy disk , by checking deep into its health . it's expensive too , really beautiful drive . yet it got corrupted and had to be formatted and i've continued recovery the past month .

Norton has scanned all my data as safe . i'm concerned here . this is getting out of control .

why on earth did my source drive get corrupted by using RTT R-Studio on it mid-December ? why is RTT R-Studio now being followed by corruption upon all the destination drives I use to recover data from the source drive ?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: multiple new hard drives become corrupted after recovering data from older hard drive

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:16 pm

As I understand, when R-Studio for Mac writes recovered files to an external disk, the file system on the disk becomes corrupted. If this is the case, I'd like to point out the following:
R-Studio (all its version) does not write anything directly to a disk. It does that through the computer operating system. It "tells" the OS to write a certain data as a certain file. And OS does the actual writing.
My guess is that may be a virus (highly unlikely on macOS, but still possible), or, more likely some hardware or OS glitches. Can you write some other massive amount of data (not the recovered files) to the disk without problems? If yes,
What is the corruption of the target disk? Some lost files? The file system becomes unrecognizable by the host OS?
What is the file system on the disk the files are being recovered from?
What is the file system on the disk the files are being written to?