Recover INBOX file 97GB

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
John2019

Recover INBOX file 97GB

Post by John2019 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:37 pm

Hello i'm trying to recover my Email INBOX file from Thunderbird Mail from my Mechanical Hard drive.

System:
ThinkPad T480
HDD: 2TB Western Digital - NTFS
Windows 10
R-Studio 8.12.175721 Personal Edition
File: INBOX

The file was overwritten with an empty file when i did some changes on my email account. Once i realized this i immediately stopped using the Software and started R-studio trying to recover it. R-studio is showing the deleted file but when i try recovery the file is only 4KB not the whole 97GB.
Is there any way to try recovering the whole 97GB file since it should be still in the same location just some parts might be corrupted. Since it's email and mostly text it should not be so critical it there is some file corruption since it should only mean to lose some mails.

I attached some pictures to explain what i mean

Thanks for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recover INBOX file 97GB

Post by Alt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:26 pm

Overwritten files are usually hard to recover.
Try to recover only the overwritten file and check the result.

John2019

Post by John2019 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:45 am

Hi Alt,

and thanks for your reply i tried to recover only this file alone with the same result then the recovered file is only 4kb in size. I was wondering if r-studio can behave similar to dd under linux and just try to byte copy the whole block since the file might be consecutive. I really can not understand how writing a 0KB file over a 97GB one can destroy the entire structure since the data should be still in the same location.

How to get some additional ideas.

Thanks

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:28 am

If you check just the damaged file, not the other files, you should get a file saved that is that 97Gb.

If only a small amount of it was overwritten you might then have some success using this method: https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/re ... ils.html#4

(Ignore that fact it's on Easeus website, I'm not recommending you try their software, it won't help. But, the directions of how to use Thunderbird to scan for lost emails in the inbox file is good)