Scan & Create Image options not available on target HDD to be recovered

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
GSteele

Scan & Create Image options not available on target HDD to be recovered

Post by GSteele » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:41 am

Hi,
I have a USB attached HDD that I'm trying to recover using a licensed standalone version of windows R-Studio v8.13.176095. The HDD shows up in R-Studio but no drive options are enabled from the Drive or Right click menu for the target drive, all I can do is "refresh".

1) The HDD shows up under Disk Manager but as "Unknown" type & Not Initialized" but the size does show as 931GB. (see image below)
2) The Drive shows up in R-Studio but there are no partitions showing & no disk size, and no real options for the target HDD to be recovered. (see image below), yes the normal options show up for the other drives.
3) The drive shows up in Device Manager as "working properly" but has an event error about "Device Not Migrated" & "not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match" error text below.

How do I take an image of the disk in this semi-recognised state, failing that how do I scan the HDD?

Do I need to choose "Initialized Disk" or "Offline" in Disk Manager? This seems like breaking a cardinal rule but maybe required to access the disk further? There seems to be no mention of this scenario on the forums...

Or is the disk dead to R-Studio and I need to move recovery up a notch?

R-Studio screen shot

Disk Manager screenshot

Device Manager - Events

Device Manager - Volumes

Disk Event:
Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_Seagate&Prod_BUP_Slim_SL\000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_Seagate&Prod_Expansion\000000
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000EC000000F020
Present: false
Thanks in Advance,
Greg

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Scan & Create Image options not available on target HDD to be recovered

Post by Alt » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:08 pm

"Device not migrated" means that something wrong with the Windows 10 driver for this drive, most likely something bad happened during Windows 10 upgrade.
This article How to Fix Device Not Migrated in Windows 10 (6 Easy Ways) may be of some help.