VeraCrypt Drive deleted

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
randykshlerin

VeraCrypt Drive deleted

Post by randykshlerin » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:38 am

Hi,
I've made a huge mistake. I've deleted TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt files which contains very important data.
I was able to recover one file, 25GB of TrueCrypt encrypted file, but I've deleted 2 more - one ~200 GB VeraCrypt file and one ~300 GB VeraCrypt file.
I can't even see them on the list after scan (only this 25GB). I was wondering, maybe because of the fact, that this is not "normal" type of the file, RStudio doesn't see it.
Can anyone help?
Any suggestions?

Yes, I'm not english native, sorry for that.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: VeraCrypt Drive deleted

Post by Alt » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:43 am

randykshlerin wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:38 am
Hi,
I've made a huge mistake. I've deleted TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt files which contains very important data.
I was able to recover one file, 25GB of TrueCrypt encrypted file, but I've deleted 2 more - one ~200 GB VeraCrypt file and one ~300 GB VeraCrypt file.
I can't even see them on the list after scan (only this 25GB). I was wondering, maybe because of the fact, that this is not "normal" type of the file, RStudio doesn't see it.
Can anyone help?
Any suggestions?

Yes, I'm not english native, sorry for that.
Unfortunately, TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt, and other encrypted containers are huge. When Windows deletes such huge files, it looses too much information about them which makes their recovery very hard.

Such files have no file signatures and thus scan for Known File Types won't help.