How to recover all files from HD with logical errors?

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
CursedComputer1help

How to recover all files from HD with logical errors?

Post by CursedComputer1help » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:32 pm

I'm trying to recover all files from a HD that seems to have logical errors from improper removal or possible computer shut off. Windows cant recognize the drive or assign the data partition a letter or read it because of this.

I scanned the drive (scan the entire disk option) and it shows about 175 Recognized "things"? like partitions?
The option "Recover all files" is greyed out for the drive.
An earlier scan selecting the data partition only said "The selected disk does not contain any supported file systems or the file system is corrupted.
Select the scan command from the drive menu to find all partitions that have ever been located on the same disk space."

I can see files, do I have to copy all 175 Recognized things one at a time, or is there a way to do them all at once? or how do I know which to copy?
Each of these things contains groups of files with some folder structure, but all seem some what incomplete with other things containing the other files.

I'm trying this on 2 hard drives with the same problem, 1 is 2gb full (shows about 400 thing partitions?) and the other is a 240GB SATA SDD

also, does "Extra search for know file types" option, create doubles in a folder? or is it needed?

Any help would be welcome, I'm trying to learn this software.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: How to recover all files from HD with logical errors?

Post by Alt » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:06 pm

CursedComputer1help wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:32 pm
I can see files, do I have to copy all 175 Recognized things one at a time, or is there a way to do them all at once? or how do I know which to copy?
This help page may help: Data Recovery Using R‑Studio.
Each of these things contains groups of files with some folder structure, but all seem some what incomplete with other things containing the other files.
This means that the file system is really damaged.
I'm trying this on 2 hard drives with the same problem, 1 is 2gb full (shows about 400 thing partitions?) and the other is a 240GB SATA SDD
Please read this article about file recovery from SSD disks: File Recovery Specifics for SSD and Other Devices Supporting the TRIM/UNMAP command.
also, does "Extra search for know file types" option, create doubles in a folder? or is it needed?
R-Studio can also find files using "file signatures". Those files are put into the Extra Find Files folder.
You may read more about file recovery in our article: File Recovery Basics: How Data Recovery Works.