Deleted Large Files from SSD

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
sallers

Deleted Large Files from SSD

Post by sallers » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:09 pm

Hello,

I just purchased the Studio version in hopes of recovering a bunch of .mp4 files I mass deleted from my SSD today. I'm not sure if there is a certain place I should be looking? I've tried looking in the original location but I am unable to find them. There are also some corrupt files - assuming that might be them? Is there any way for me to recover the videos?

Thanks in advance!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Deleted Large Files from SSD

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:34 pm

Please, read this article File Recovery Specifics for SSD and Other Devices Supporting the TRIM/UNMAP command.
That's why we strongly recommend all our users to thoroughly test our data recovery software for their specific cases before purchasing the particular software.

vaiari

Post by vaiari » Thu May 19, 2022 3:17 pm

Hi everyone and Alt, I can't emphasize enough how much R-studio helped us and how it is far ahead from the so called data recovery software programs. Now I am in a situation where I don't have R-studio ( I've used it many times when working for my previous company ) And I am planning to buy but there is a big problem : I have an SSD (240 GB, Micron) and on windows 7 I accidentally (???!!!) installed windows 7 (on windows 7, as windows couldn't load because of short power surges when starting, and it couldn't repair itself somehow) thinking it wouldn't format, so calmly, as I am called the IT guy, so sure of myself, as it didn't say clean install, and I didn't read carefully.
The Question is : Should I even put it back to computer and check if TRIM is enabled or not and try to do other things, or wait around 5 years for the technology ( R-studio ) to come up with a new algorithm/way to recover files? What have I done? As soon as I found out there's something going very bad- after windows installation it booted with two windows options? And I couldn't understand why, Then immediately it booted up, I saw that all is gone, I shut down the laptop, and removed the SSD - all in less than a minute. Long gone. Now because it's an SSD, although not enough, I have an idea what TRIM does, but for the specific SSD model, I had no idea how Garbage Collection worked so I wrote to Micron, and they said , just take it to a professional data recovery center.
Only 5-6 mp4 video files are important - my personal laptop .
I'd be grateful for Anyone who sheds light, leads the way, Alt? Many thanks.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri May 20, 2022 1:43 pm

I would do the following in your case:
1. Remove the SSD from the host computer.
2. Install R-Studio on other computer. It can run in its Demo mode. In this mode R-Studio can perform all the necessary actions except saving recovered files.
3. Disable TRIM on the computer with R-Studio. This article may be of help: File Recovery Specifics for SSD and Other Devices Supporting the TRIM/UNMAP command.
4. Connect the SSD and perform the actions from this article: File Recovery after Re-installing Windows.
5. Estimate chances to recover the necessary files. Do it very thoroughly. If they're good, buy R-Studio and register the program.
6. Save the recovered files.

vaiari

Post by vaiari » Thu May 26, 2022 2:14 am

Many thanks Alt, you're great. The SSD's been lying aside for a year now, as I am too frightened to give power to it and run the internal garbage collector. Thank you for your guidance, I will follow, but yet I didn't have time to. I felt responsible for a response, I will try in the time slot available and hopefully, post here the success story (fingers crossed) . Many thanks again.

DiskTuna

Post by DiskTuna » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:13 am

Once TRIM command has been issued and has been processed by the drive, it's of no use to disable TRIM. Disabling TRIM in Windows will cause Windows to not send new TRIM commands, it does not mean the SSD will stop erasing data that was already trimmed.

Short summary of what happens when you delete a file from and SSD that supports TRIM, from an OS that actively sends TRIM commands:

- File deletion
- OS calculates which LBA sectors are involved
- OS sends TRIM commands, for large files it will need multiple

Most common response from SSD once it received the TRIM command is removing these sectors from LBA user space until they're written to at some point. Until that time, when you request any of these LBA sectors drive will simply return zero filled sectors without even reading the drive (most common, there are other options).

Only way to access these out of LBA user space sectors is a PC3000 SSD/Portable. It's vital to get to those sectors before they're actually erased.

For this TRIM command to reach the drive, everything needs to work to get this done: The OS needs to send command, interface has to pass on the command and drive needs to process the command. Sometimes you get lucky and the command is not properly processed or not even sent.

For example I have seen situations where command was not sent by Windows due to certain file system issues: If Windows can't be sure it's sending truly discarded clusters it may not do so. Or, AFAIK TRIM commands are queue-able and commands may be dropped from queue for some reason (this may explain Windows defrag sending TRIM commands to drive once a week). Under such circumstances you may be able to recover the files you deleted, and under such circumstances it may be wise to disable TRIM temporarily.

vaiari

Post by vaiari » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:02 pm

thank you very much @disk tuna . I have not yet tried anything on the drive yet, as I don't feel I'm capabe enough. maybe I'll reach /pay someone with pc3000 , I have no one around my neighborhood (istanbul). I've got to learn more first. I'll keep on learning.