How R-Studio manages to distinguish good and bad files

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
michaelchiklis

How R-Studio manages to distinguish good and bad files

Post by michaelchiklis » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:27 am

Hello,

i've cloned a 4 TB Western Digital drive with MRT DE.
The drive had many bad sectors that results in several corrupt files, for example some JPGs file can't be opened (due to blank start index) and others can be opened but the picture results distorted.

The thing that puzzles me is that R-studio marks with a green dot these bad files as "good" while other software can report as damaged (red circle) the files lacking the start index.
Under what circumstances does R-studio mark damaged files with a red circle?

My question is whether R-Studio will be able to distinguish damaged files from good ones after cloning procedures in other utilities?
R-studio Spyglass3.jpg
UFS Spyglass3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: How R-Studio manages to distinguish good and bad files

Post by Alt » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:56 pm

R-Studio marks files as damaged (the red circle) when it detects that those files have overwritten sectors, or there are bad sectors found in disks' sector maps.

michaelchiklis

Post by michaelchiklis » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:10 pm

Thanks for the reply,
i can't understand how the software can detect if some sectors of a certain file get overwritten.
After I do a zero fill with a hex editor tool on some sectors of a certain file, r-studio detects that file still good.
I compared R-Studio with another famous data recovery sw as you can see in the pictures above, that sw is able to tell if a file has missing indexing, r-studio doesn't.
After cloning a damaged drive with 3th party tools, it would be very helpful to know which files have been damaged due to a partial sector copy of the file.

DiskTuna

Post by DiskTuna » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:23 am

I assume what's meant is overwritten according to FS bitmap (so used vs. unused clusters). Seems as if USF is doing extension <> magic bytes comparison also where R-Studio is not?
Last edited by DiskTuna on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:24 am

Sectors can be overwritten by two ways: 1-st: when data of an old file has been overwritten by data of a new files. R-Studio detects such sectors by analyzing the file system. 2-nd: when a sector cannot be read from the disk because of read failure. R-Studio detects that by using sector maps, created by either R-Studio itself or some other third-party soft/hardware.