stop/cancel unresponsive

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
CMWDev

stop/cancel unresponsive

Post by CMWDev » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:23 am

Hey, running R-Studio technician on a windows 7 box, trying to recover stuff from a Toshiba USB drive (never buy one of those, just saying) and the drive is really glitched... constant failure to read errors..

Anyway, I have been running the recover stuff for a few weeks now (yes, weeks) and I want to stop the scan so I can save the drive information and check what it has found for files.

The problem is, no matter how many times I hit esc, or stop... the drive continues to scan. Suggestions on how I can get this to stop so I can save the scan information? Thanks kindly in advance :slight_smile:

Gary

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: stop/cancel unresponsive

Post by Alt » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:04 pm

It's Windows rather than R-Studio cannot return from reading the disk.
You may
* click the Stop button (Escape will not help in this case) and wait for a special dialog box that asks you to save scan info and then stop the program. It'll take time though.
* use Task Manager to stop R-Studio. You'll loose scan info you didn't set R-Studio to save it before scan started.

CMWDev

Post by CMWDev » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:56 pm

Yeah, done the stop many times, it just keeps on scanning.

To be honest, I am not sure if I told it to save the scan as it was going... afraid to kill it in task manager, just in case I didn't...

CMWDev

Post by CMWDev » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:59 am

Hey folks, continuing on with this nightmare of a drive... I have done previous scans (0 to 6), 6 being 2.88 k in size, all were "reloaded" fine. I did another scan, running for over a month (yes, the drive is in bad shape) and when it got "cancelled" by a forced shutdown, the file number 7 is just over 13k in size. When I rebooted and tried to load the scan file in an attempt to recover at least some data, r-studio told me the scan file was damaged and could not be loaded,

I did a quick check with notepad++, and the file looks much like all of the other scan files but I am guessing that the forced shutdown probably didnt write some end of file marker or something...

Is there any way to fix this file? It took about 6 weeks to make it, and I would hate to have to start all over again.

Thanks kindly in advance

Gary :)

RForce

Post by RForce » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:00 am

It seems to me that you are killing the failing drive and wasted a lot of time with a direct recovery rather than follow best practices of getting a clone first. You should be able to save time by using R-Studio's runtime image to duplicate sectors as you read them and tell it to image the target files and folders using their very advanced multi-pass imaging algorithms.

If this is a client's drive, you should probably stop and send to your preferred data recovery lab partner while there is still a chance. And, when you are not pressured and have time to play, invest in a DeepSpar Stabilizer or RapidSpar to work with R-Studio for a much more professional way of recovering data from a failing drive. I'm sure R-TT support can give you details on their deal with DeepSpar and how to get the hardware with your R-Studio Tech license.

CMWDev

Post by CMWDev » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:36 am

I appreciate the response... been doing computers for over 40 years, all aspects of repair and programming. Not had to do a LOT of data recovery in the past, rstudio has always worked to perfection and has been very easy. This has been the first drive ever, to give me any real problems. I looked at the DeepSpar item, impressive but way out of my price range... especially in Canadian dollars.

Not sure I am causing more problems but I suppose that is possible. I would still like to get that scan file fixed however, that is my biggest priority.

The drive only had 96 hours on it when it failed. Most USB drives have a daughter board and I thought that was the problem. After taking it apart, I found the drive had a full board, and was not able to take that out and use a docking station on it. Not impressed. I ordered another drive and tried to swap the boards out but that failed too. So the problem is the drive itself.

Anyone have any idea on how the scn file can be repaired?

Gary

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:36 pm

CMWDev wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:59 am
13k in size. When I rebooted and tried to load the scan file in an attempt to recover at least some data, r-studio told me the scan file was damaged and could not be loaded,
If this file is of a such small size, can you send it to me (raptorbck at gmail dot com)?