stop/cancel unresponsive

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
CMWDev

stop/cancel unresponsive

Post by CMWDev » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:23 am

Hey, running R-Studio technician on a windows 7 box, trying to recover stuff from a Toshiba USB drive (never buy one of those, just saying) and the drive is really glitched... constant failure to read errors..

Anyway, I have been running the recover stuff for a few weeks now (yes, weeks) and I want to stop the scan so I can save the drive information and check what it has found for files.

The problem is, no matter how many times I hit esc, or stop... the drive continues to scan. Suggestions on how I can get this to stop so I can save the scan information? Thanks kindly in advance :slight_smile:

Gary

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: stop/cancel unresponsive

Post by Alt » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:04 pm

It's Windows rather than R-Studio cannot return from reading the disk.
You may
* click the Stop button (Escape will not help in this case) and wait for a special dialog box that asks you to save scan info and then stop the program. It'll take time though.
* use Task Manager to stop R-Studio. You'll loose scan info you didn't set R-Studio to save it before scan started.

CMWDev

Post by CMWDev » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:56 pm

Yeah, done the stop many times, it just keeps on scanning.

To be honest, I am not sure if I told it to save the scan as it was going... afraid to kill it in task manager, just in case I didn't...

CMWDev

Post by CMWDev » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:59 am

Hey folks, continuing on with this nightmare of a drive... I have done previous scans (0 to 6), 6 being 2.88 k in size, all were "reloaded" fine. I did another scan, running for over a month (yes, the drive is in bad shape) and when it got "cancelled" by a forced shutdown, the file number 7 is just over 13k in size. When I rebooted and tried to load the scan file in an attempt to recover at least some data, r-studio told me the scan file was damaged and could not be loaded,

I did a quick check with notepad++, and the file looks much like all of the other scan files but I am guessing that the forced shutdown probably didnt write some end of file marker or something...

Is there any way to fix this file? It took about 6 weeks to make it, and I would hate to have to start all over again.

Thanks kindly in advance

Gary :)