Help with Stripe from Gigabyte MB GSATA2 controller

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
apaseall

Help with Stripe from Gigabyte MB GSATA2 controller

Post by apaseall » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:07 am

Hi,

Some info:
I have a raid 0 [stripe] set.
both hhd are the same model.

they were connected to a gigabyte motherboard [ga-965p-ds4 rev3.3].
that motherboard appears no longer post [not sure why] [possibly it does post but with no graphic output].
prior to the motherboard failure i was running windows xp.

i used default values ie left xp and gigabyte to format and create the raid 0 set.
i believe a virus became active on the raid set and prevented booting.

Question:
since i was not using windows xp to create and controll the raid 0 set will there be issues in recovering my data ?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Help with Stripe from Gigabyte MB GSATA2 controller

Post by Alt » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:36 am

I recommend you to try. You may do that for free. Read What to do if I don't know if R-Studio can recover my files? for details.

apaseall

Post by apaseall » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:59 pm

Well I have a couple of responces;
1. try it and see is a none answer, you are basically saying that you have no idea, why not find out. if you had bothered to check you would have seen that i have already purchased the product ie r-studio.
2. i have tried it.

i appear to be able to see most of the original file structure ie the folders and some of the files.
however none of the files are recovered correctly.
by not correctly i mean zip/arj files are not able to open.
jpeg files are not either previewable or slightly scrambled.

by slightly scrambled i mean one or to 'lines' appear correct, then some are offset, miscoloured and then a mess, then the pattern repeats with correct again.

so i will return to my initial question;
since i was using a gigabyte controller to create and use the raid 0 array are there any special issues i should consider when trying to recover my data ?

anyone have a helpful reply, other than play with the settings and find out for myself ?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:56 am

Well, it's really hard to say what has happened without seeing the actual data. I can suggest two possible cases:
1. The best case: incorrect RAID settings. The only remedy is.... well, play with settings and try. Maybe, the article Finding RAID parameters will help you. Although it describes how to find parameters for a RAID5, but the overall procedure for a stripe will be the same, except that you don't have to find parity of data.
2. The worst case: data corruption on one of the disks. Stripe sets have absolutely no protection against such cases. A very deep knowledge and a lot of experience are required to work with such corrupted RAIDs. Although, it's possible to recover some files, which data is correct, using scanning for known file types, if the RAID parameters are known.
Please, note, that even when one disk has failed, you may still view the correct file/folder structure, if the information on them is on a working disk.