Windows chkdsk impact on data recovery

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
jwhizz

Windows chkdsk impact on data recovery

Post by jwhizz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 pm

I have a 500 GB external hard drive failing. I tried to run Windows Vista CHKDSK on the drive and it started turning all my directories into folders. I pulled the plug on the drive before it could run through the entire hard disk. I plugged the drive into another computer in an attempt to copy any readable folders to another hard drive but chkdsk immediately started running again before I could even logon to the new computer. I have two questions:

a) Is there any way to stop the execution of chkdsk?
After I started it and saw that it was going to simply convert all folders to files, I tried to stop it with ctl-C. However, chkdsk took that to mean it should automatically convert unreadable folders to files. As I said, I had to pull the plug to stop it. Now, when I hook it up to another computer, chkdsk just runs, converting all folders on the drive to files!

b) Can RTT's software recover the data in the event I have to let chkdsk finish executing, converting all folders to files?
In the event there is no way to stop chkdsk from executing, can RTT software recover the data on the drive?

Best regards,
Jwhizz

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Windows chkdsk impact on data recovery

Post by Alt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:41 am

Chkdsk is one of the worst enemies of data. When it "repairs" something, the result is worse than the problem.
This article explains how to disable chkdsk during computer startup: Disable or Stop Auto CHKDSK During Windows Startup.
When chkdsk runs, it may easily ruin the file/folder structure on the disk, and only scan for known file types can help. You may try it running R-Studio in the Demo mode, prior to purchase.