Emergency Startup Media or BartPE

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
EdW

Emergency Startup Media or BartPE

Post by EdW » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:41 am

I'm hoping to use R-Studio to recover data off a RAID 5 array. The host is a Dell PowerEdge 2950. I'll need to use a boot CD since the file system is no longer visible to the server. Will the emergency startup media recognise the drives or will I need to create a BartPE disk with the appropriate drivers? If the latter, do you have anything that would assist with the creation of a BartPE disk? I've yet to purchase R-Studio, so I haven't been able to check out the emergency recovery disk, which I believe is only avaliable with the purchased version. The host is located in a datacentre and I'm hoping to gather the necessary tools etc. before making a visit. The following details are all I have of the system configuration of the server.

System Type: PowerEdge 2950
Ship Date: 26/05/2007

Quantity Parts # Part Description
1 PE 2950 QUAD CORE XEON E5310 (1.6GHZ, 2X
1 RISER WITH PCI EXPRESS SUPPORT (2X PCIE
1 PE2950 ENGLISH WITH RACK POWER CORD
1 PE2950 BEZEL ASSEMBLY
1 4GB FB 667MHZ MEMORY (4X1GB DUAL RANK DI
1 PE2950 ADDITIONAL QUAD-CORE XEON E5310 (
4 300GB SAS (10, 000RPM) 3.5 INCH HARD DRIV
1 CHASSIS 3.5HDD X6 BACKPLANE (ONLY FOR CA
1 PERC 5/I, INTEGRATED CONTROLLER CARD (8
1 CD/DVD DRIVE CABLE
1 8X DVD-ROM DRIVE IDE
1 NON-REDUNDANT POWER SUPPLYNO POWER CORD
1 BROADCOM TCP/IP OFFLOAD ENGINE FUNCTIONA
1 ENGLISH WINDOWS 2003 R2 STD SVR 5 CAL +
1 PE2950 OPEN MANAGE CD + DRIVERS
1 3YR BASIC NBD ONSITE
1 RECOMMENDED ENTERPRISE SUPPORT DECLINED.
1 YOU HAVE CHOSEN NOT TO TAKE THE DELL POW
1 1YR BASIC NBD ONSITE
1 BASE WARRANTY
1 RAPID/VERSA RACK RAILS
1 C5 MSS R10 INTEGRATED PERC5/I MIN. 4 MAX
1 POWEREDGE ORDER - UNITED KINGDOM
1 ROAD FREIGHT CHARGE PER UNIT

Many thanks,
Ed

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Emergency Startup Media or BartPE

Post by Alt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 am

Well, R-Studio Emergency (the startup disk for emergency recovery) is also available for test prior to purchase. You may download it from R-Studio's download page (Service Utilities for Local Recovery). Without registration, it'll work in the Demo mode. In this mode, R-Studio Emergency can do all recovery work (including creation of virtual RAID's) except saving recovered files. So you may test R-Studio Emergency on your Dell machine. Please note that you may register your R-Studio Emergency on the fly - as soon as you find that it can recover your files, without interrupting its work.

As far as I know, BartPE has problems running on Dell machines. At least, Wiki says so: Wiki: BartPE