Using R-Studio to recover pst file

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
fluxburn

Using R-Studio to recover pst file

Post by fluxburn » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:48 pm

From what I read in the manual I guess I'm trying to hard to recover the file.

In Windows XP, the user profile was deleted amongst other profiles. A new user account was created, and the the computer was removed from the domain, switched over to the welcome screen instead of the Control Alt Delete Windows NT style of login.

I've done the more advanced scans but don't seem to find this users profile. I can see others profiles. Any help/info would be appreciated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Using R-Studio to recover pst file

Post by Alt » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 am

Any chance that the user profile was stored somewhere on the domain? If not, frankly speaking, I see no hope...

fluxburn

Post by fluxburn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:10 pm

This is interesting, for some reason I can recover pst files from a particular user, but not the user in question. I'm not particularly sure how Windows overwrites files on the disc and in which order. So R-Studio is able to look at the files which have been renamed to other data and recover the file names of the original files then it allows for grabbing of the data of that data, which is actually converted to the original file name; correct?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:13 am

I am personally not sure exactly how Windows deletes and overwrites files either, and I am not sure that anyone even at Microsoft is. Generally, when Windows decides that it needs the space the deleted file is occupying, it simply writes the new data over the old ones. The name and other informaiton of the deleted file may or may not remain in the file tables of the disk.
R-Studio can find files on which information remains on disk. It can recover files which data remain not overwritten. If the information and data are gone, the files are gone, too.
From the things you wrote here, I recon that Windows deleted the informaiton on the file and overwrote the data, making data recovery impossible.