R-Studio not even finding files extundelete can - why not?

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
tbessie

R-Studio not even finding files extundelete can - why not?

Post by tbessie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi all...

I've posted about this before, but I got reorganized to check my work, and the free utility 'extundelete' is finding many files I deleted from my EXT4 partition, whereas R-Studio is finding the top-level directories under the root, and nothing more.

How can this be? extundelete mostly reads file metadata and journal data - if this little free utility can do it, what's up with R-Studio that its handling of EXT4 file deletions does less, to the point of not being able to find any deleted files?

I've submitted scan results, logs, and debug information for every scan I've tried R-Studio with, so please don't ask for more of them. Do your developers know why R-Studio is finding nothing?

- Tim

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: R-Studio not even finding files extundelete can - why no

Post by Alt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:59 am

Different data recovery programs use different file system parsing algorithms that is why they give different results. I'm sure there are cases when R-Studio recovers all files, while extundelete does nothing.

tbessie

Re: R-Studio not even finding files extundelete can - why no

Post by tbessie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Alt wrote:Different data recovery programs use different file system parsing algorithms that is why they give different results. I'm sure there are cases when R-Studio recovers all files, while extundelete does nothing.
I'm sure that's true - it's just that I'd heard such wondrous things from other folks about R-Studio, I thought it would be a kind of "best of the best" - you know, take the best, most successful methodologies from each of the current products and incorporate it into a single one, with a nice usable GUI in front of it.

I'm sure EXT4 is not the most popular filesystem people end up buying R-Studio to try to recover, and there's not been a lot of work on products to recover from it; just wish there was. Right now I'm trying PhotoRec for files that extundelete missed.

- Tim