Known File Type(s) for Apple Mail message files

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
nigelh

Re: Known File Type(s) for Apple Mail message files

Post by nigelh » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Alt wrote:1. Well, those file types in italics look like a bug affecting only the Mac version.
Is there anything I could do to help you with diagnosis of any possible bug? I'd be happy to help, if I can.
Alt wrote:2. I recommend placing the xml file to the following location /Users/user name/R-Studio/FileTypes.xml
The file types should appear in the "Internet related files" group.
Otherwise, I can't imagine what also may prevent them from appearing.
Yes, that was the default location specified in Settings:Main, when I first tried to add the definition, and is still where I have the file located. And yes, "Internet related files" is where I was looking to see the entries appear - though I have looked through all the groups, just to check, and they don't appear in any of them.

Incidentally, this is all running under a fully updated Leopard OS (10.5.6). I do have another Mac here running Tiger, so as soon as I get the chance, I'll copy everything across to that and try it there, just to see if anything different happens.

As I said, if there's anything else that I can do to help diagnose, just let me know.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:18 am

I have passed the problem to our developers. Can we use the e-mail address you registered with to contact you?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:59 am

Can you send the xml file to my e-mail address?

nigelh

Post by nigelh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:44 am

Alt wrote:I have passed the problem to our developers. Can we use the e-mail address you registered with to contact you?
Yes, of course! :-)

nigelh

Post by nigelh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:47 am

Alt wrote:Can you send the xml file to my e-mail address?
Sent!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:16 am

It looks like your text editor inserts a lot of abundant text-formatting characters into the file. I sent you a correct one. Delete the old file and use this one.

nigelh

Post by nigelh » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 am

Many thanks for that. It's working now. Apologies, I thought I had saved the file as "plain text", but it seems that Apple's TextEdit utility doesn't actually have an option to do that, which seems odd. ironically, Word and Open Office do, of course.

One new point, if I may: I have the scan running again, but it seems that there's no way to ask R-Studio to scan only the free space on the disk - a feature I have seen in at least one other recovery utility. Given that this would significantly reduce the time required to complete a scan, perhaps it would be a useful additional feature for you to add - unless it is already there, and I'm just not seeing it, of course!

Thanks again for all your help.

nigelh

Post by nigelh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42 am

nigelh wrote:One new point, if I may: I have the scan running again, but it seems that there's no way to ask R-Studio to scan only the free space on the disk - a feature I have seen in at least one other recovery utility. Given that this would significantly reduce the time required to complete a scan, perhaps it would be a useful additional feature for you to add - unless it is already there, and I'm just not seeing it, of course!
Of course, what I mean there is that it would reduce the time to scan when searching for deleted files to be recovered. But I'm sure you realised that.....!!! ;-)

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Yeah, we will implement this feature.

inou81

Post by inou81 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:00 pm

I have accidentally deleted my account and all the folders are gone. I have tried the xml code in this post and it works only on the test messages I sent after recreating my old account. Can anyone point me in the right direction to recover my old emails?

Thanks