data recovery when power is out

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
filrkaye

data recovery when power is out

Post by filrkaye » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Hello..just trying to understand if I have a chance to recover data from my western digital SATA 1.0TB external drive. The HP External drive faced a spike of electrical current that shot the box for power ... I have removed the WD drive connected to an adpater box to plug into my desktop computer thru USB...when plugged in I can hear the drive make noise and feel the vibration when holding but does not register on "my computer" drives screen on my desktop computer...do I have any chance to recover the files (mainly tv shows /movies and music) ???? Would R-Studio work in this case or since my computer cannot identify the drive it is worlthless??

thanks,
Fil

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: data recovery when power is out

Post by Alt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:10 am

Does your computer see the disk in BIOS? If yes, chances for you to recover the files yourself do exist. If not, it's a work for a data recovery professional, and may be expensive.
For the first case, you may try R-Studio or R-Undelete. They should see the disk too. They're pay programs, but they let you test them before buying. See this topic for more details: What to do if I don't know if R-Studio can recover my files?

TL

Post by TL » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:32 am

: Fsd093Kjuqbw:

I have a similar situation, but am not sure how my Western Digital drive should be identified in my BIOS--do you know what the WD drive's identifier in the BIOS should be?

Thanks for any info!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:54 am

TL wrote::
I have a similar situation, but am not sure how my Western Digital drive should be identified in my BIOS--do you know what the WD drive's identifier in the BIOS should be?
It should start with WD and then a series of digits and letters.