Recovery of Acronis true image backup/archive files. (tib)

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovery of Acronis true image backup/archive files. (t

Post by Alt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:51 pm

The Mac version is at the finish lane.

Sn3akyP3t3

Post by Sn3akyP3t3 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:28 am

Thanks for the update! Typically how long does Linux tail on Mac version?

I realize this may not be possible, but look at what LIghtworks, non-open source video editor solution, has done for a previously windows only application gone cross platform. http://opensource.com/business/12/10/li ... pers-story Its worth a look for the development team to be aware of if they are not already doing something similar.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 am

Sn3akyP3t3 wrote:Thanks for the update! Typically how long does Linux tail on Mac version?
We hope not very long.

Post by Guest » Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 pm

I don't know if this pertains to the later part of this thread asking for updates, but I'm currently trying to restore a couple .tib archives that were mistakenly deleted by Acronis and I only found out yesterday when I needed them to restore my image. The drive the images were stored on hasn't been touched and doing a deep scan with R-Studio brings up the tib files I need, but they have a 0 byte count. However when looking at Extra Found Files it appears that the entire contents of the 0 byte count tib archives are in there. It just appears that the entire directory structure and names are missing. The names have all been replaced with a generic numbering scheme.

It looks as if R-Studio doesn't normally scan for .tib signatures? Is there anyway to add a custom one? I tried using the custom signature, but I'm new to this and definitely didn't do it right.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 am

Guest wrote: It looks as if R-Studio doesn't normally scan for .tib signatures? Is there anyway to add a custom one? I tried using the custom signature, but I'm new to this and definitely didn't do it right.

No, that looks like the file system containing the information about the files is damaged,whereas the file content isn't. That's why you can't recover the file names but the file content is OK.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed May 29, 2013 2:53 am

At last, the Mac version is released: R-Studio for Mac 3.1.1520, and the bug should be fixed.

Sn3akyP3t3

Post by Sn3akyP3t3 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:57 pm

And there was much rejoicing! I await the release of the Linux version so I may get busy with recovery.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu May 30, 2013 6:06 am

I'm waiting for it, too.

Sn3akyP3t3

Post by Sn3akyP3t3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Yay update available as of just under a week ago, June 14, 2013! Now I can get back to attempting recovery!

Sn3akyP3t3

Post by Sn3akyP3t3 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 pm

I'll admit I'm not good at filling in the fields for the graphical editor to add to known file types with the signature and offset. Mainly I think my problem is that I'm not sure how to calculate the offset accurately or I'm misunderstanding what I'm doing wrong. What is a good resource to reference that explains what the offset is and how it is calculated. I'm sure some of the non-power users could benefit from having that information in hand. Prior to this version I had written the XML by hand and avoided the editor, but now I'm determined to use it since it uses Version 2 of the syntax. I won't post what I have so far so not to confuse anyone with rough draft work in progress that is crawling this forum.

Also, I would like to see .tib file format added to the archive file types in a future version natively found in R-Studio out of box. I don't know if that carries legal issues with it or not, but I'm doubting that it does.