Can R-Studio Skip Bad Sectors Faster?

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
viking

Can R-Studio Skip Bad Sectors Faster?

Post by viking » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:05 pm

I have a hard drive that has physical problems. I copied the drive and then recovered several files. However, I found that I can recover some more files on the defective drive itself.
When I run R-Studio it slows down to a crawl when it reaches a bad sector.

I get error messages like "Unable to recover part of xxxxx because of disk X: read error at sector yyyyyyy". I get multiple such errors on the same 1 MB file and it may take 10-20 min to proceed to the next file, which may or may not give similar errors.

I often intervene by clicking Stop and then, after R-Studio finally responds, tell it to skip the file. Is some way to have R-Studio auto skip the file after it reaches a bad sector in the file and fails to read it after 1 attempt (for example)?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can R-Studio Skip Bad Sectors Faster?

Post by Alt » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Actually, it's not R-Studio, not even Windows or other OS that make the response so slow. It's computer hardware that waits for the disk response so long.
You may skip files with bad sectors by selecting Skip files with bad sectors on the Recover dialog box.

viking

Post by viking » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Alt wrote:Actually, it's not R-Studio, not even Windows or other OS that make the response so slow. It's computer hardware that waits for the disk response so long.
You may skip files with bad sectors by selecting Skip files with bad sectors on the Recover dialog box.
OK, I understand. I will try this.

BTW, I couldn't get the drive scan to complete; it always stops at less than 10% done. Probably because the drive is defective.
However, I am very surprised to see that R-Studio could still enumerate the files on the lost partition (and keeping the directory structure intact!)!
What is the purpose of a [completed] scan? It seems to work without it.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:53 am

viking wrote: BTW, I couldn't get the drive scan to complete; it always stops at less than 10% done. Probably because the drive is defective.
If you see symptoms that the drive is hardware faulty, the best action is to bring it to a reputable data recovery pro. They have, for example, a proper equipment that handles bad sectors properly, not to say about their skills. Putting the squeeze yourself on the drive will only deteriorate its conditions.
There's a good rule of thumb for such cases: If the problem is easy, you won't pay much, if it's hard, you won't solve it yourself.
viking wrote: However, I am very surprised to see that R-Studio could still enumerate the files on the lost partition (and keeping the directory structure intact!)!
What is the purpose of a [completed] scan? It seems to work without it.
That's because the information about the files is stored on one place on the disk, and their data on other, and that information is available in your case. This article explains that: File Recovery Basics: How Data Recovery Works. Not always this is the case, that's why quite often only disk scan can find lost files.