Filename with recovered files

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
mulix

Filename with recovered files

Post by mulix » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:00 am

Hello Community,

I use r-studio 7.2.155105 to recover delete files from harddisks out of a raid-1 nas. The nas is based on linux with the filesystem ext3.
The scan of disk are correct and show some partitions. If i recover the files, the filename are only numbers like 18588349.mdb or 3563144.dcm - the .mdb and .dcm file-suffix is correct, but the numbers are not.

Have any an idea? What is the reason of the numbers?

Thanks
Mulix

Corsari

Re: Filename with recovered files

Post by Corsari » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:32 pm

When a Linux filesystem deletes a file...

... well, that is not Windows :-)

All the references of that/those files are deleted.
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

mulix

Post by mulix » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:53 am

Hi Corsari and thanks for answer.
okay i understand the context, but is it posible to recover this references? I think this meta-datas are store on the harddisk, can i search them with r-studio?
Or is it better to use the linux-version of r-studio?

thanks
mulix

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:40 am

The Linux, Windows, and Mac versions of R-Studio have the same feature set, so no need to change the version. Well, if the filename is completely deleted, it's impossible to recover it. Still, you can recover the content of the file. But I'd double-check the recovered files.

mulix

Post by mulix » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:56 am

okay... that´s no good news. But there are many files with database content (*.mdb) and image content (*.dcm). If i have the content of files it´s a long process to open the file and read the content to reconstruct the filename.
Filesize between 10 KB and 5GB - badly disappoint.... buy software to recover but the result is not usable. And no information in the handbook to the filename problems!

thanks
mulix

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:25 pm

The "filename" problem isn't a data recovery software problem, it's a problem of how the OS deletes files. This article explains the problem in more details: File Recovery Basics: How Data Recovery Works.