recovery not showing filenames

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
tnjholland11

recovery not showing filenames

Post by tnjholland11 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:10 am

For recovery of a NAS - disk I am using R-studio for windows.
It regocnizes a bunch of files, but when I sort on extension it shows the files e.g. in the format 204837.xls.
So it can show the file, and also the correct file content, but somehow the filename and the location in the directory structure cannot be found.
Or I am missing something ?
The NAS is MVIXBOX, using some kind of linux version, all documents stored on the NAS are mostly office documents and pdf's.
After a scan, the filesystem recognized is mostly FAT16 and FAT32, a couple of NTFS
After the scan a long list appears showing thing like "Recognized 130" in colors red, green, orange.
I have read the help section, but could not find a way to recover actual file names.
I tried the demo, and as it is actually able to find files, so not all is lost, I bought the regitry key.
Thanks for the help
Regards
Theo

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: recovery not showing filenames

Post by Alt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:05 am

I think this article will help you to understand the situation: File Recovery Basics: How Data Recovery Works.
BTW, if the OS is Linux, most likely, the file system should be of the ext sort.

tnjholland11

Post by tnjholland11 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:40 am

Thanks for the article. It shows how file structures work and how these a recovered.
What is also shows is that R-Studio tries to find copies of a damaged file table.
If these are not there, or damaged, is it possible to try to read the information from disk, even when it has actually been physically deleted ?
I have heard of forensic disc recovery that data can also be recovered when it cannot be read in a normal way, that is some magnetic information always remains on disk, also after actually deleting.
In that case, when both copies of a file table cannot be read at once, deeper forensics could try to read the table based on remaning magentic information on disc.
Can that be tried with R-studio
Regards
Theo

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:27 am

That was possible many many years ago. But data record technology has changed rendering all those approaches infeasible. Right now there's no commercially available technologies of that kind. There're rumors that some advanced forensic institutions of developed countries can do something like this, but there's no confirmations, direct or indirect. Surely, if you aren't connected with al-quaeda or top mafia bosses, none will ever think of using such technologies.

tnjholland11

Post by tnjholland11 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:34 am

OK, thanks for the explanation.
Kind regards
Theo