File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
viking

File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by viking » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:36 pm

I accidentally started to delete a very large directory with about 20,000 thousand files. I stopped it, but several thousand files had already been deleted. I immediately scanned the drive using R-studio (v7.6) and many files were found with the complete path. However, many files were also found w/o complete path info in "Extra Found Files". Why can't R-studio find the complete path for so many files? It will be very difficult to restore them not knowing where they belong.

Note that I also tried another program called Undelete (http://www.condusiv.com/products/undelete/). I searched for the deleted files in the directory that I had started to delete. It rapidly found the deleted files and showed the original path for all (including all files that were in "Extra Found Files" by R-Studio). Unfortunately, Undelete is no able to recreate the original folder structure so I need to use R-studio for this (if it could find out the original path to all files)

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Frankly, I didn't quite get the information. How that program could correctly find file paths but was unable to recovery the folder structure?

viking

Post by viking » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:07 am

Alt wrote:Frankly, I didn't quite get the information. How that program could correctly find file paths but was unable to recovery the folder structure?
It is simply not a feature of the program; it shows the original paths for all deleted files. To restore the deleted files, I need to specify a location.

I now also tried GetDataBack (v4.33 for NTFS) and it also finds the files with the complete paths! Unfortunately, this program does not let me restore ONLY the deleted files with the directory structure intact; I can restore all files (deleted and not-deleted) with intact directory structure OR search to find only deleted files. However, after a search the full paths cannot be restored :( .

I also tried UFS Explorer and the full paths for the deleted files were found. However,this program also does not let me restore ONLY the deleted files with the directory structure intact

Thus, I do not understand why only R-studio looses the path info for so many deleted files (they are found in "Extra Files")? Is there something that I can do to fix this issue?

p.s. I tried to respond yesterday but, for some reason, my reply is not shown here so I am trying again....

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:17 pm

I've reported the problem to our developers.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:21 am

Please, can you contact our techsupport and submit them the $MFT file? And the file system's snapshot? (Tools -> Settings -> Main -> Enable Debug Mode, then right-click the disk and select FS Snapshot). Please, provide a reference to this topic. Thank you in advance.

viking

Post by viking » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Alt wrote:Please, can you contact our techsupport and submit them the $MFT file? And the file system's snapshot? (Tools -> Settings -> Main -> Enable Debug Mode, then right-click the disk and select FS Snapshot). Please, provide a reference to this topic. Thank you in advance.
1. How do I get the $MFT file?
2. I created a file system snapshot (fss) as explained above, but it is 251 MB!
3. I would need to inspect the $MFT and fss before submitting. How would I do this?

BTW, I tried Active@ UNDELETE and it was able to find all deleted files and it is able recover them with the file structure intact. I have now tested 3 competing programs, and they could all find the deleted files with their full file paths. It is only R-studio that, for unknown reasons, looses the path info for many files. This has happened every time I tried R-studio (on other drives and situations as well). I like R-studio except for the problem of loosing the path info for many files.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:45 pm

viking wrote: BTW, I tried Active@ UNDELETE and it was able to find all deleted files and it is able recover them with the file structure intact. I have now tested 3 competing programs, and they could all find the deleted files with their full file paths. It is only R-studio that, for unknown reasons, looses the path info for many files. This has happened every time I tried R-studio (on other drives and situations as well). I like R-studio except for the problem of loosing the path info for many files.
Looks like we found and fixed the bug. Wait for the next build to be released soon.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Alt wrote: Looks like we found and fixed the bug. Wait for the next build to be released soon.
I am surprised that nobody has noticed this bug before as it has existed for many years. Maybe others, like myself, thought that it was the best R-studio could do?
Anyway, glad that it has finally been fixed.

viking

Post by viking » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:04 pm

Alt wrote: Looks like we found and fixed the bug. Wait for the next build to be released soon.
I am surprised that nobody has noticed this bug before as it has existed for many years. Maybe others, like myself, thought that it was the best R-studio could do?
Anyway, I am glad that it has finally been fixed.

viking

Post by viking » Tue May 05, 2015 3:12 am

When will the next build with bug fix be released?