File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Alt
Site Moderator
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by Alt » Thu May 07, 2015 8:48 am

viking wrote:
Alt wrote: Looks like we found and fixed the bug. Wait for the next build to be released soon.
When will the next build with bug fix be released?
I hope soon.

Alt
Site Moderator
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by Alt » Sun May 10, 2015 7:48 am

I think this build fixed the problem: R-Studio 7.6.158715.

viking
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by viking » Sun May 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Alt wrote:I think this build fixed the problem: R-Studio 7.6.158715.
It doesn't list the issue above as one of the bug fixes?

Alt
Site Moderator
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by Alt » Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 am

viking wrote:
Alt wrote:I think this build fixed the problem: R-Studio 7.6.158715.
It doesn't list the issue above as one of the bug fixes?
The bug fixing is within the "Directory Junctions" bug.

kano
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by kano » Mon May 11, 2015 12:30 pm

Alt wrote:I think this build fixed the problem: R-Studio 7.6.158715.
Nope. The problem still remains.

Alt
Site Moderator
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by Alt » Mon May 11, 2015 12:47 pm

kano wrote:
Alt wrote:I think this build fixed the problem: R-Studio 7.6.158715.
Nope. The problem still remains.
Can you contact our techsupport and submit them the $MFT file? And the file system's snapshot? (Tools -> Settings -> Main -> Enable Debug Mode, then right-click the disk and select FS Snapshot). Please, provide a reference to this topic. Thank you in advance. The snapshot may be quite large, but its size can be greatly reduced when the file is zipped.

viking
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by viking » Mon May 11, 2015 4:47 pm

Alt wrote:
kano wrote:
Alt wrote:I think this build fixed the problem: R-Studio 7.6.158715.
Nope. The problem still remains.
Can you contact our techsupport and submit them the $MFT file? And the file system's snapshot? (Tools -> Settings -> Main -> Enable Debug Mode, then right-click the disk and select FS Snapshot). Please, provide a reference to this topic. Thank you in advance. The snapshot may be quite large, but its size can be greatly reduced when the file is zipped.
As I wrote above:
1. How do I get the $MFT file?
2. I created a file system snapshot (fss) as explained above, but it is 251 MB (and 51.2 MB zipped)
3. I would need to inspect the $MFT and fss before submitting. How would I do this?

Alt
Site Moderator
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by Alt » Tue May 12, 2015 11:36 am

viking wrote: As I wrote above:
1. How do I get the $MFT file?
2. I created a file system snapshot (fss) as explained above, but it is 251 MB (and 51.2 MB zipped)
3. I would need to inspect the $MFT and fss before submitting. How would I do this?
1. In Metafiles on the partition.
2. Contact our techsupport, they'll tell you how and when to upload the files.
3. Understand your concern. You may browse through the $MFT and fss using the R-Studio's built-in editor. Sure, browse an $MFT copy rather than the original file on the partition. Actually, these both files will give us information about folders/files on the partition. We'll be able to detect that a file named MyTopSecret.doc exists or existed, but unable to see the content of the file.

viking
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by viking » Sat May 16, 2015 5:20 pm

Alt wrote: 1. In Metafiles on the partition.
2. Contact our techsupport, they'll tell you how and when to upload the files.
3. Understand your concern. You may browse through the $MFT and fss using the R-Studio's built-in editor. Sure, browse an $MFT copy rather than the original file on the partition. Actually, these both files will give us information about folders/files on the partition. We'll be able to detect that a file named MyTopSecret.doc exists or existed, but unable to see the content of the file.
I can confirm Kano's statement that the problem still remains in the new version :cry: .

Did Kano by any chance submit the $MFT and fss?
My compressed $MFT is 202 MB (and compressed fss is 51 MB). There are also some file and folder names on this drive that are confidential. Any other way for you to fix this bug?

kano
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: File Paths Not Found (but in "Extra Found Files")

Post by kano » Sat May 16, 2015 7:39 pm

I did not submit a $MFT and fss for review. The developers should be able to easily reproduce the issue by performing the following:

1) Delete a folder that contains a file or set of files.
2) Open the corresponding disk/volume in R-Studio.
3) Use R-Studio to attempt to navigate to the folder that was deleted.

The deleted folder will not be visible under its original location. Instead, it will appear as "$$$FolderNum" (where "Num" is a string of digits) under "Extra Found Files" without any information pertaining to its original name or path. Any files that were contained within the deleted folder, however, will appear correctly under this R-Studio location.

Note: Files that are deleted alone (whose containing folder is not) remain unaffected and recoverable with correct, intact paths.

Thank you, Alt, for trying to help remedy this issue.

Post Reply