How to copy partition table from one .dsk to another

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
deejbee

How to copy partition table from one .dsk to another

Post by deejbee » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:58 am

I have 4 .dsk images taken from a broken X-raid (netgear readynas) array. The problem is the array controller overwrote the partition table of one of the drives so it *looks* empty but the data is still there.

I have been told that by copying the partition table from one of the good images to the empty one, I may be able to recover the raid structure in r-studio.

Creating .dsk images in r-studio is taking a very long time. I was hoping it would skip over the bad sectors on the drive but it appears to just keep trying forever. Is there a way to force it to skip over/ignore them and continue?

Is there a way to copy the partition table from one .dsk to another or mount the .dsk images in linux and copy the partition table there?

version: r-studio 7.8

Any help much appreciated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: How to copy partition table from one .dsk to another

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 am

deejbee wrote:I have been told that by copying the partition table from one of the good images to the empty one, I may be able to recover the raid structure in r-studio.
No! You will not be able to recover anything by copying a partition table from one RAID disk to another. On the contrary, you'll make the situation much worse.

What is the type of the RAID and what happened with it? If it's RAID5 or alike, one missing disk makes no problem in data recovery.
deejbee wrote: Creating .dsk images in r-studio is taking a very long time. I was hoping it would skip over the bad sectors on the drive but it appears to just keep trying forever. Is there a way to force it to skip over/ignore them and continue?
Check that the Read attempts parameter is set to 0 on the Advanced tab of the Create Image dialog box. If it's already 0, that is the maximum speed of disk copy. R-Studio accesses disks through the operating system. Read more about this on the R-Studio on-line help: Images.
deejbee wrote: Is there a way to copy the partition table from one .dsk to another or mount the .dsk images in linux and copy the partition table there?
You may do that but that will worsen the situation.