Recovering CompactFlash Card (MP3 Data)

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
muzicman82

Recovering CompactFlash Card (MP3 Data)

Post by muzicman82 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi all,

I have a customer that uses a Marantz PMD560 solid state audio recorder to record audio in MP3 data. The problem reported is that someone accidentally turned the recorder off before stopping record on the unit. The device shows files but they are 0 bytes. I tried running R-Studio but it doesn't come up with anything different.

The unit records in real time, not to memory or cache before writing. So I am guessing the bytes are there just not assembled correctly. Is there any shot at getting this data back into an MP3?

Thanks.

Data-Medics

Re: Recovering CompactFlash Card (MP3 Data)

Post by Data-Medics » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Did you check within the extra found files folder where files are found just by their type? They won't have any file names, just a random looking number indicating at what offset the file was found.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Actually, this section is named "Raw files", and it's outside any Recognized partition.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:17 am

Alt wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 pm
Actually, this section is named "Raw files", and it's outside any Recognized partition.
Is this a change in the latest version? Mine still calls it "extra found files" but I am one version behind right now.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:46 am

Data-Medics wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:17 am
Alt wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 pm
Is this a change in the latest version? Mine still calls it "extra found files" but I am one version behind right now.
"Extra found files" is _within_ existing/Recognized partitions on the scanned object and it also contains folders like $$$Folder[some_number] with orphaned folders/files.
"Raw files" is on the same level oo Recognized partitions and contains raw files only.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:02 pm

I got you. I was just referring to if he already had the file system opened and didn't see the files where he expected them, to be sure to check in the extra found files folder to see if there's a bunch in there.

But, yeah, you can always just disregard the filesystem and go straight for the RAW files option.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:28 am

Data-Medics wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:02 pm
I got you. I was just referring to if he already had the file system opened and didn't see the files where he expected them, to be sure to check in the extra found files folder to see if there's a bunch in there.

But, yeah, you can always just disregard the filesystem and go straight for the RAW files option.
Raw files appear in the Extra Found Files folder only when the object has been scanned.