Problems with recovered files

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
hapzfl

Problems with recovered files

Post by hapzfl » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:01 am

I just did my first file recovery of a HD formatted by Synology Linux OS but NOT as a Raid volume. Recovery was necessary because I deleted a volume believing that I had a backup. I was proven wrong...
Luckily the only operation that 4TB HD was exposed to was moving it from an older NAS to a new NAS. Of course everything on that disk got wiped out at that point.

Using R-Studio on a Win 10 PC took days to scan the 4TB and came up with a recovered file volume that was several times larger than the disk. That was a major surprise as I had to scramble to find space for all these recovered files.

That disk never stored anything but video files created by a number of different cameras some of which were edited my Vegas Studio Pro.

To my surprise, and that's where my real problem is right now, there were file formats recovered I have no idea how to deal with. Aside from the known formats mpg, mp4, mts, mov, and swf there is a vp6 format that I have not been able to open with anything yet although I supposedly have all the current codecs on my PC.

These vp6 files are huge, there are a ton of them, and I have no idea what they are, where they are coming from, and what to do with them.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Problems with recovered files

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Sorry for the long delay with an answer.
What was the file system of the disk? ext4fs or Btrfs? If the first, this article will help: Data Recovery from a Reformatted Ext2/3/4FS Disk. If the second, the only way is to use raw file search.

hapzfl

Post by hapzfl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 pm

My file system on that disk is still the old ext4fs but I did a raw fil search just in case.
As the mentioned article outlines, the recovery loses folders, file names, and attributes.
That's exactly what happened with my recovery.

But now I have files I don't know how to handle...

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am

One way out is to manually search for good files in the recovered files. I understand that may be a titanic work, but it is what it is.

Another way is to re-scan the drive specifying only video files in the settings. You may find more information here: Disk Scan.

Ophelia1402

Post by Ophelia1402 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:07 am

Data recovery can be put into two categories …

-when your computer hard drive is working perfectly, but you have deleted files, formatted your drive, or lost your data for some other reason. This is what is referred to in the industry as a “logical” problem.
-when you computer hard drive has physical errors and some of the mechanical or electrical components of the drive no longer work, for example
-when you computer has been in a fire or a flood. This is what is referred to in the industry as a “physical” problem.
In many cases the data has been lost due to a “logical” problems and a software solution can be used to recover files. It is only if you drive has physical errors that you need to send it to a hardware recovery service.