No Boot Device Available after Image restore

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
DonStevenson

No Boot Device Available after Image restore

Post by DonStevenson » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:18 am

Hi

So I have a basic Simple rotation backup schedule in place. I am using the trial version of R-Drive Image. I created a Startup USB flash drive. I wanted to test the recovery environment:

1: My source Image is from a 1tb SSD, target is a 1tb mechanical drive.
2: UEFI is enabled and secure boot is disabled on computer
3: My first boot device is set as the internal target drive
4: Computer BIOS sees the target drive
5: For the image restore, I did not specify any options, I just dragged the source onto the target.
6: Rdrive and the log files tell me everything worked.
7: When I try and boot the new target in the computer, I get "No Boot Device Available"
8: I swapped in another 1TB target just to eliminate the first drive being the issue.
9: This time before the image restore, I used the Rdrive interface to delete all partitions on the target
10: Ran the image restore again with the same results, "No Boot Device Available"

Can someone give me some pointers as to why this is not working? I read someplace that the startup disks don't work in the trial version? I was able to create a USB flash drive for startup and that part booted and worked fine.

Thanks for any pointers.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: No Boot Device Available after Image restore

Post by Alt » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:53 am

Was the source the entire drive of disk C:? Should be the entire drive.
If it was the entire drive, please go to our techsupport with your system dump right after the data restoration. (Ellipsis (...) -> About ->Write system dump) and the link to this topic.

DonStevenson

Post by DonStevenson » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:58 am

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, despite my forum preferences to get notified when there is a reply to my question, it only works sporadically. To answer your question. Yes I am selecting the entire drive as the source. Will get you the dump file. A few other observations? The image restore is copying all the data to the target drive. It just will not boot (see my original post). The target drive is a simple/dynamic/ntfs drive. As I mentioned before, the system BIOS also see's the target drive etc. As far as the image restore goes? I am taking all defaults.

Will get the dump posted.

DonStevenson

Post by DonStevenson » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:01 am

I forgot to mention, I get the same results when I try and restore the image to the target using a booted windows desktop with R-Drive Image installed on it vs using the startup USB flash drive.

DonStevenson

Post by DonStevenson » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:02 pm

So I did submit a support ticket and referenced this forum discussion, I did not any place to submit my dump file in that form. Is there a spot to do that or will they ask for it when they get back to me? TX

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:32 pm

DonStevenson wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:02 pm
So I did submit a support ticket and referenced this forum discussion, I did not any place to submit my dump file in that form. Is there a spot to do that or will they ask for it when they get back to me? TX
They'll tell you where to submit the dump.