restoring /legacy/MBR based backup to UEFI/GPT hard drive

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
ranasrule

restoring /legacy/MBR based backup to UEFI/GPT hard drive

Post by ranasrule » Wed May 15, 2019 2:17 pm

The system I have taken an imag of is using legacy/MBR partition layout. The system I want to restore to only supports UEFI. Is it possible to restore the backup to the new system?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: restoring /legacy/MBR based backup to UEFI/GPT hard drive

Post by Alt » Wed May 15, 2019 5:03 pm

I'm afraid not. The UEFI layout requires an additional UEFI partition and GPT .
I would try, though.

jpiie

Post by jpiie » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:43 am

Hi there,
I realise this is a bit out of date now but I have recently done just this using Acronis True Image however, there is no reason why R-Drive cannot also do it albeit a little more slowly.
I was adviced to make an image of the original drive with the MBR partition format. Then, delete the partitions on the original disk and reinitialise it as a GPT disc.
Finally, copy back the original image to this, now GPT, disk.
Using True Image this procedure worked although I did have to uintick the "copy drive signature" option and I'm not sure if R-Drive has this facility or not.
It's worth a try.
I don't often use R-Drive image as it seems, comparatively, slow in making images. However, I still keep it up to date as one never knows when it will suddenly become the only program I need :)

Cheers.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:29 pm

It may work if the disk isn't a system one.
Just restore the partitions rather than the entire disk on an already UEFI/GPT-initialized hard drive. But i'd rather test it before starting to use this trick on really important data.