R-Drive Image 7 review (PCworld Jan 2022)

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
peterg23

R-Drive Image 7 review (PCworld Jan 2022)

Post by peterg23 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:20 am

Last edited by peterg23 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert-A

Re: R-Drive Image 7 review - by Jon L. Jacobi (Jan 2022)

Post by Robert-A » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:03 pm

Hi

Just trying 7 -prefer layout in 6 - large size and inability to minimize screen is inconvenient? - and need to individually select partions is 'confusing' - non-techy but had got used to old format and option . . .

Also have backup type options gone or am i not looking in right place?

Is 7 faster?

Overall I very much appreciatre and like program as solid and to date over years has always worked unlike at least historic Acronis (in my experience) - but hope above can be resolved

Many thanks

peterg23

Re: R-Drive Image 7 review (Jan 2022)

Post by peterg23 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:08 pm

Hi Robert

1. Overall I prefer the layout of version 7 over version 6. I don't have a problem with minimizing the backup window but I cannot reduce the window or font size. The latter is unfortunate but I can live with it. :?

2. The backup type options in my scripts have not changed and are still selectable.

3. My upgrade from version 6309 to version 7000 went smoothly, and I think 7 is somewhat faster than 6. :D

4. Version 7 does not seem to respect the current Windows date format. My date format in Australia is DD/MM/YY but the logs are MM/DD/YY with no way to as far as I can see to change it. But it's not a major problem. I am sure these issues will be fixed, but overall the program works well.
I have been using R-Drive Image since 2011, how time flies!

cheers, Pete. 8-)

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:09 am

Hi,
First big issue : I tried to mount an image composed of a set of .rdi files, the first created by V6 (latest) and the last by V7 : it crashed (BSOD) as soon as I tried to access the drive...

Update : after reboot, mount went fine...

mallet

Post by mallet » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:35 pm

Hello,

yes I do agree : it would be nice if we could reduce those enormous (ugly) tiles and choose another look.

Not all of us have vision problems! Looks like Acronis just now :evil:

Thanks !

TreeSysAdmin

Post by TreeSysAdmin » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:35 am

Hi

I read this review which brought me here, mainly the VMKD support and was hoping you supported VHD and VHDX
but unfortunately looks like you only support the vmware format.

we are currently using an older version of Paragon for this purpose storing backups in vhdx format, but looking for a replacement.

Are there any plans for VHD / VHDX support? it would make a great addition, as we (and i imagine many others) mainly deal with Hyper-V nowadays and would be great to be able to boot a backup, convert to hyperv, or simply mount in windows.

thanks for your time and will evaluate v7