Small issues with build 7001

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
MerleOne

Small issues with build 7001

Post by MerleOne » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:24 am

Hi,
I found 2 issues with this V7 version :
When I run a script that saves the content of a set of files, for each file processed, the text is "restoring filexxx.yyy" and not saving/backupping... It seems restore is not applicable here...

Also, I created a script to build an incremental backup of the same set of files, when run from the GUI it is indeed incremental, but when run from the command line it creates a full backup...
Regards,
Merle1

MerleOne

Re: Small issues with build 7001

Post by MerleOne » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:56 am

Same issues in build 7002...

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:52 pm

We're unable to reproduce these problems. Can you send us the script to review?

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:10 pm

Hi,
Here it is. When I run it from the GUI, which is cumbersome because I have to select again each folder, set the compression speed, select the full image, etc., it works fine (it is rather quick and the newly created image is a few hundred of MB big. If I run the script, which should lead to the same result, the newly created image is as big as the first image, a few GB. And it takes much more time.
Sincerely,
.merle1.

[ REM R-DriveImage script file ]

append /a /o -filelist=""C:\Users\jfdre\AppData\Local\eM Client","C:\Users\jfdre\AppData\Roaming\eM Client","D:\Users\JF\eM Client","D:\Users\JF\eM Client v6"" -bf -backupdir="C:\" -filelist=""C:\Users\jfdre\AppData\Local\eM Client","C:\Users\jfdre\AppData\Roaming\eM Client","D:\Users\JF\eM Client","D:\Users\JF\eM Client v6"" -bf -backupdir="D:\" -a="J:\Backup\Y700\eMClient\eMClient_files_20220205sai.rdr" -p="password" -c=4 -u -check -s-xr

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:36 am

MerleOne wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:10 pm
Hi,
Here it is. When I run it from the GUI, which is cumbersome because I have to select again each folder, set the compression speed, select the full image, etc., it works fine (it is rather quick and the newly created image is a few hundred of MB big. If I run the script, which should lead to the same result, the newly created image is as big as the first image, a few GB. And it takes much more time.
Did you try to create a task that can be run manually from the GUI?
Did you create the script manually or from the GUI? Create a Script from R-Drive Image.
Does the script create images at the same place when run from the GUI and the command line?

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:35 pm

Alt wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:36 am
Did you try to create a task that can be run manually from the GUI?
Did you create the script manually or from the GUI? Create a Script from R-Drive Image.
Does the script create images at the same place when run from the GUI and the command line?
Hi,

Here is what I did/did not :
- I created no task
- I went into the GUI, defined what I wanted to save and where, then, before starting the backup, I saved the script. Which is supposed to be the equivalent of what I just defined. Then, if I run r-drive 7 from the GUI, it does perform an incremental backup, at least I think so since the size is small and it is rather quick, much quicker than for the first and full backup.

Say the destination is D:\Backup\MyFileBackup.rdr, each time I run the same backup from the GUI with the same destination of course, a new .rdr file is created, named MyFileBackup[n].rdr where n=1, 2, ... etc.

If I reuse the script created as described, if the last version is MyFileBackup7.rdr, then MyFileBackup8 is created but this time its size is almost the same as the first full backup. And it take also the same time as for a full image creation.

Not easy to explain but to sum it up, the same backup definition behaves differently when run from the GUI or from a script generated by the very same GUI.

Sincerely

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:09 pm

MerleOne wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:35 pm

Say the destination is D:\Backup\MyFileBackup.rdr, each time I run the same backup from the GUI with the same destination of course, a new .rdr file is created, named MyFileBackup[n].rdr where n=1, 2, ... etc.

If I reuse the script created as described, if the last version is MyFileBackup7.rdr, then MyFileBackup8 is created but this time its size is almost the same as the first full backup. And it take also the same time as for a full image creation.
Do you run the script and GUI version under the same account?
I guess that the script doesn't see the already existing image and creates a new file. Is that possible?

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:23 pm

Alt wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:09 pm
Do you run the script and GUI version under the same account?
I guess that the script doesn't see the already existing image and creates a new file. Is that possible?
Yes, same account

No, the script does see the existing files because it respects the naming convention, if the full image is a.rdr, then the first differential (made from the GUI) is a2.rdr. When I use the script (or the GUI), the new file is named a3.rdr, so it does see the existing backup. The only differences are that when run from the GUI or from the script, the time required to build a3.rdr it short from the GUI and long from the script and the size of a3.rdr too (big from the script, small from the GUI)

Sincerely,
.merle1.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:30 am

PS : when creating a task, same result. It creates a full backup with an incremented file name (a3.rdr is a2.rdr was the last incremental image).

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:40 pm

We're investigating this problem.