Skip pagefile and hiberfil files

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
Jims13

Skip pagefile and hiberfil files

Post by Jims13 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:40 am

I've heard that backup software can skip backing up the pagefile.sys and the hiberfil.sys files on the root of the c drive. Are there plans for the data backup software from you to do the same thing? I believe those files are recreated when booting, which must be done with a restore. They take up a lot of room.

Thanks.

Jims13

Re: Skip pagefile and hiberfil files

Post by Jims13 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:47 pm

I found this link in another post that mentions about skipping the pagefile and hiberfil files in a windows system backup, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Here's the link that describes it under backup options:
https://www.drive-image.com/DriveImage_ ... nimage.htm

skipping pagefile.jpg
However, I do have Windows Volume Snapshot checked and the files are included in my backup.

How do I exclude them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:34 pm

Those files are included into the image, but not their content, therefore they do not take up space. These files are necessary for Windows to startup without problems.

Jims13

Post by Jims13 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:35 pm

That doesn't make sense from the numbers I'm seeing. Here are the sizes of the files on my c drive currently and in the image file.

Current C Drive: 363GB space subtract 128GB for rdr file on it leaves 235GB
hiberfil.sys: 12.6GB
pagefile.sys: 64.0 GB

Mounted C drive from the image file earlier today:
Total Space: 241GB
hiberfil.sys: 12.6GB
pagefile.sys: 64GB

The difference between the size of the c drive and the mounted c drive is not close to the sizes of those two files, so what you said doesn't make sense.

Do you see my point?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:07 pm

I don't understand which RDR disk you're referring to. Did you save the image file on the same disk you were imaging? Or what?

Jims13

Post by Jims13 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:01 pm

My point is that the difference between the size of the c drive and the size of the mounted image file after subtracting that Image file I put there temporarily, (I know not to keep it there permanently), is not the same as the sum of the size of those two files. It's quite a bit less and probably have to do with overhead of the image file creation. Also, the sizes specified in the mounted version match the sizes on my c drive of those two files. Do you see my point? It can't be that they are empty and don't take up space. That's my point. Also, the picture posted says that these two files can be skipped, but they aren't from my previous post. I'd like to save that amount of space in the image files going forward.