New Feature

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
Jims13

New Feature

Post by Jims13 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:04 am

Is this the appropriate place to request a new feature? I'd like the ability to run a .cmd script after a backup finishes. My script would upload the backup to my AWS bucket. I did that with EaseUS ToDo Backup when I used them, but I decided to stop using them for various reasons when I talked to their support. Does this forum go to employees of R-TT? Please note that EaseUS has pre- and post-backup script running options.

Thanks.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: New Feature

Post by Alt » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:43 pm

Options -> Backup Options.
Yes, R-TT Team reads and answers this forum.

Jims13

Post by Jims13 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:01 pm

By saying “Options > backup options” are you saying this option exists to run post backup scripts? I don’t see it.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:33 pm

Create an Image -> Backup Options.

Jims13

Post by Jims13 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:37 pm

Great. I'll try that out tonight. I also have a reply to my other post. I'll reply to that now. Thanks for the help.

Jims13

Post by Jims13 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:30 am

I ran my backup with my script attached as the following and it worked, but it writes data to a log file and the file was created, but it was empty when the job finished. It never wrote during the job, either.

Here's how I attached that script to my backup job.

In the "after" spot of Backup AUX applications I put:

cmd.exe /c "H:\Users\LindaJim\Documents\SourceCode\Software\aws_pc_backup\dist\system backup script.cmd"

The script writes to the log file if I run it outside of R Drive Image during the job.

I have R-Drive Image Standalone 7.0 (Build 7005). I have windows 10 64-bit installed and the program I'm running is 64-bit.

Jims13

Post by Jims13 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 am

I reached out to the EaseUS ToDo backup support a while back on issues with their implementation of much the same option. They used the start command though and I criticized them for saying that my script was successful in their logs after the start command finished, since they couldn't possibly know that. However, my script did write to my logs in their solution. They also didn't use cmd.exe /c before the command there. Not sure if this helps you or not.

Jims13

Post by Jims13 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:08 am

no. It's not working at all. I created the task with the after Backup AUX application option as follows:

cmd.exe /c "H:\Users\LindaJim\Documents\SourceCode\Software\aws_pc_backup\dist\E drive 256GB backup script.cmd"

The script runs fine outside of R Drive. It only creates an empty log file within R Drive. I don't see anything running in task manager and the first thing it does is copy a file and that is not happening.

I tried a number of different options with the after Backup AUX application option to get this to work including the following, but nothing worked:

start "H:\Users\LindaJim\Documents\SourceCode\Software\aws_pc_backup\dist\E drive 256GB backup script.cmd"
start cmd.exe /c "H:\Users\LindaJim\Documents\SourceCode\Software\aws_pc_backup\dist\E drive 256GB backup script.cmd"
"H:\Users\LindaJim\Documents\SourceCode\Software\aws_pc_backup\dist\E drive 256GB backup script.cmd"

When will this be fixed?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:10 pm

When an executable file starts from R-Drive Image, it runs under the Local System account. May be, some problems with mounted disks, access rights, etc?

Jims13

Post by Jims13 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:03 pm

The local account is an administrator account. It shouldn't have to do with rights, correct? I redirect stdout and stderr output from that 64-bit program to that file within that .cmd script and it's always empty.