Expand/Shrink to Size option fails to create boot disk

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
DonStevenson

Expand/Shrink to Size option fails to create boot disk

Post by DonStevenson » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:51 pm

Hi All

I have a 120gb Rdrive image. When I restore that image to a larger drive (that I want as a boot drive) it works fine and boots up fine. Any disk space beyond the 120gb is no longer available, nor can I extend this drive as there is always a recovery partition adjacent to it.

When I use the "expand or shrink to size" option for the restore image operation, (which is supposed to deal with these disk size issues) and place this disk in a computer I always and reliably get this windows error:

Error Code: 0xc0000225 Device Not connected or cannot be accessed, at boot time.

This happens everytime I use the "expand or shrink to size" filter. Has anyone encountered this and resolved it?

The R-drive Image software (latest version) reports that all imaging operations were successful.

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Expand/Shrink to Size option fails to create boot disk

Post by Alt » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:07 pm

Maybe, this article How to Move an Installed Windows to a Larger Disk will help you.

DonStevenson

Post by DonStevenson » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:52 pm

This looks good. Will give it a try. Thanks!

DonStevenson

Post by DonStevenson » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:09 pm

Alt gets the cigar! That article was right on the money. Silly me for thinking that checking the "Expand/Shrink to Size" button in the Rdrive Image Interface would take care of this. It does not and you still need to manually adjust the partitions (by dragging them) to reflect the size of the disk you want. This article also does a good job of explaining what the three key required partitions are. My only comment is that you use this same technique outlined in this article for both the "Copy Disk" and "Image Restore" operations. At any rate thank you Alt, this is working now and I have verified this with multiple disks of various sizes. Please note I did not test shrinking these disks. This is not as much of a big deal as 1 and 2TB SSD drives are readily available and will match the size of most mechanical drives you may encounter. I just paid like $17 for a 500gb SSD, and under $10 for 120gb SSDs

DonStevenson

Post by DonStevenson » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:10 pm

I was told there was an update that will address this issue. I have not tested that.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:38 pm

DonStevenson wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:10 pm
I was told there was an update that will address this issue. I have not tested that.
Indeed, this new build R-Drive Image 7.0.7009 has fixed this bug with incorrect processing of the system partition. But you still need to follow this article, as you need to expand/shrink only the Windows partition, while the Expand/Shrink partitions to whole disk option expands/shrinks all partitions proportionally to their original sizes.