Windows Snapshot Service

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
Heinz Hupe

Windows Snapshot Service

Post by Heinz Hupe » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:30 am

Dear all,

I use R-Drive Image to create backups to a USB SSD for offsite storage. For the same PC I also use Synology Backup for Business to create backups on a local Synology NAS.

Both systems use the Windows Volume Snapshot Service and The Synology Backup can not find the older snapshots to create differential backups and thus always creates complete backups. And that is not ok, because that is a lot of data and space used.

Is it possible that R-Drive Image deletes all snapshot data when it is done creating a backup? If so, can you please fix that?

Thanks.
Heinz.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Windows Snapshot Service

Post by Alt » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:58 am

Heinz Hupe wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:30 am
Dear all,

I use R-Drive Image to create backups to a USB SSD for offsite storage. For the same PC I also use Synology Backup for Business to create backups on a local Synology NAS.
Do you do that simultaneously? I mean do you run these programs at the same time?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:58 am

Heinz Hupe wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:30 am
Dear all,

Do you do that simultaneously? I mean do you run these programs at the same time?
If yes, this is not a good idea.

Heinz Hupe

Post by Heinz Hupe » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:25 am

The software is installed and active in the background at the same time - the backup is done at two different time slots. And it should not conflict at in any case.